Controversial opinions on metal

Paschendale is a very good song, a rare newer Maiden epic that doesn't rely on repetition at all.

I used to not like The Final Frontier but lately I've come to think that it's their most underrated revival-era album. I think its major problem is that it starts with several incredibly bad songs so that once you get to the good stuff you're already in a negative disposition towards the album or you've zoned out entirely out of boredom. Which is a shame, because tracks 6-9 of that album is the strongest run of songs of their entire revival-era discography.

Totally agree with this. Starblind in particular is probably my favorite Iron Maiden song of the entire reunion period. On the whole it's still a weaker album than BNW, but definitely better than the other three.

EDIT: Well, not totally agree, Mother of Mercy is a great song too (everyone complains about the strained chorus but in a way I kind think it fits).

Dance of Death is pretty fuckin garbage for the most part. Amazing since the songs are actually still fairly short and less repetitive too. No More Lies, title track, and Face in the Sand are among their all-time worst songs.

Not sure how you can call yourself a Maiden fan and dislike anything since Bruce and Adrian returned.... aside from Final Frontier, that is. That one's a turd, for sure.

Not sure how you can call yourself a Maiden fan and dislike anything since Bruce and Adrian returned.... aside from Final Frontier, that is. That one's a turd, for sure.
I'm a fan of Maiden but again I only like the first five or so. 1v1 me tbh

Reactions: CiG
On listening to a couple of Black Veil Brides songs, they seem ok. Like they could be good if they have a really well written song, I haven't heard it yet though.

Revisited this. WAY better than I remember but meandered for 2 songs or so. Overall not bad.

The_Final_Frontier_cover.jpg

Metallica's Ride the lightning is their only really good album and ...And justice for all is one of the worst Thrash albums of its time.

Slayer, and Iron Maiden are also overrated.

Fates Warning and Voivod are far better representatives of quality prog metal than Dream Theater.

Morbid Angel is rather boring.

Early Finnish hardcore punk bands like Riistitye and Kaaos made metal look wimpy at the time.

Rush is in fact a metal band.

Norwegian Black Metal is boring af Bathory is better than all those bands.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Not that unreasonable. The Finnish hardcore comment is asinine but besides that, you could be me.

Not sure how the Finish hardcore comment was asanine. Certainly Riistetyt's Valtion Vankina was far more brutal and heavy than Metallica's Kill em all.

Also since I saw others mention it I do not think pig squeals, and snorting sound brutal at all. To me brutal is based largely on attitude and aggression. There need to be an atmosphere of malice.

Brutal to me is Embalmer's There Was Blood Everywhere or Mortician's Chainsaw Dismemberment.

I say it's asinine because Valtion Vankina wasn't even the heaviest in it's own genre in 1983, but I do think Kill Em All is heavier anyway. So was Manowar at the time, so was Slayer at the time, no way you're going to convince me that Finnish hardcore made Show No Mercy sound wimpy, especially not Hail To England if you're willing to take this all the way to 1984.

Hell, Cirith Ungol makes Finnish hardcore sound wimpy if you ask me.

Brutal to me is Embalmer's There Was Blood Everywhere or Mortician's Chainsaw Dismemberment.

I say it's asinine because Valtion Vankina wasn't even the heaviest in it's own genre in 1983, but I do think Kill Em All is heavier anyway. So was Manowar at the time, so was Slayer at the time, no way you're going to convince me that Finnish hardcore made Show No Mercy sound wimpy, especially not Hail To England if you're willing to take this all the way to 1984.

Hell, Cirith Ungol makes Finnish hardcore sound wimpy if you ask me.

Are we listening to the same music here :/

Voivod is a good band that's difficult to define, but Dream Theater is better at actual progressive metal.

I find Dream Theater to be a band who tries too hard and allows themselves to get boring quickly because they don't trim the fat with their own music at least that's how I feel personally. When listening to NothingFace there's never a moment where I feel this section is unnecessary or goes on too long. I also find them more unique in sound.