Controversial opinions on metal

I find Dream Theater to be a band who tries too hard and allows themselves to get boring quickly because they don't trim the fat with their own music at least that's how I feel personally. When listening to NothingFace there's never a moment where I feel this section is unnecessary or goes on too long. I also find them more unique in sound.

I enjoy Voivod as well but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category of progressive metal as DT. Voivod is more like thrash/heavy/progressive. Dream Theater is practically The sound people think of when you say progressive metal. The fact that so many progressive metal bands are DT copycats is very telling.

I enjoy Voivod as well but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category of progressive metal as DT. Voivod is more like thrash/heavy/progressive. Dream Theater is practically The sound people think of when you say progressive metal. The fact that so many progressive metal bands are DT copycats is very telling.

Oh in that sense I can agree.

@MrTagoMago cool username and avi by the way.

I dunno, I'd say that it's at least on par with Kill Em All, certainly meaner sounding and the production is heavier too.

Well, I do prefer the production, but that's because I love raw production! If Kill Em All was recorded in the same way, you might have a different view.
Take that away and it'd be pretty standard hardcore in my opinion.

This isn't controversial, and rightfully so. Dream Theater is trash.

Debut is great.

I disagree with most of his other points. Both Bathory and the best Norwegian black metal is amazing. Morbid Angel and Slayer recorded some of the greatest metal albums of all time and Iron Maiden have some great albums.

Reactions: RedStorm and CiG
@MrTagoMago cool username and avi by the way.

Well, I do prefer the production, but that's because I love raw production! If Kill Em All was recorded in the same way, you might have a different view.
Take that away and it'd be pretty standard hardcore in my opinion.

Debut is great.

We were talking who was heavier more brutal not necessarily better. I prefer Kaaos over both.

I disagree with most of his other points. Both Bathory and the best Norwegian black metal is amazing. Morbid Angel and Slayer recorded some of the greatest metal albums of all time and Iron Maiden have some great albums.

I can't get into Norwegian Black Metal at all. I liked one song by Burzum and some of Mayhem's early stuff but that's it. No clue what's with all the fuss over Transylvannian Hunger. Just can't get into Morbid Angel. Iron Maiden I like in small doses but can't sit through a full album.

Reactions: RedStorm
You mean Images and Words right? 2nd album?

For DT I like I&W, Awake, and Train of Thought. The rest all have some crappy moments. Octavarium and Systematic Chaos get an honorable mention.

No I prefer the debut, but Images And Words is good too.

Iron Maiden I like in small doses but can't sit through a full album.

Not even Piece Of Mind?

I prefer Kaaos over both.

I prefer Ride The Lightning over the entire hardcore genre. I still love Void though.

No I prefer the debut, but Images And Words is good too.

Not even Piece Of Mind?

I prefer Ride The Lightning over the entire hardcore genre. I still love Void though.

Not even piece of mind. And I like Ride The Lightning but their are plenty of Thrash albums I prefer over it such as Metal Church's debut.

I have no idea why you're so focused on Transilvanian Hunger, it's pretty unique within their discography - none of their other records are as minimalistic and focused on melody as much as that one. Besides, the song I posted is from the previous album. Maybe you should listen to their other stuff if your whole opinion is based on TH as it seems to be.

Also you never mentioned Immortal, what do you think of Pure Holocaust? Easily one of the highlights of Norwegian black metal.

Reactions: CiG
I have no idea why you're so focused on Transilvanian Hunger, it's pretty unique within their discography - none of their other records are as minimalistic and focused on melody as much as that one. Besides, the song I posted is from the previous album. Maybe you should listen to their other stuff if your whole opinion is based on TH as it seems to be.

Also you never mentioned Immortal, what do you think of Pure Holocaust? Easily one of the highlights of Norwegian black metal.

I've listened to other stuff but that's the one that gets the most praise and that they are known for so its the one I tried most. Im having trouble loading YouTube vids atm so I didn't actually hear the song you linked me to get. I remember not being able to get into immortal but I'll give the Norwegian scene another go once my internet let's me.

That one is still my favourite and it was the first one I heard. Absolutely vile and disgusting atmosphere with Nocturno's most putrid vocals. One of my favourite production jobs on an extreme metal album, too. That second riff in Kathaarian Life Code after Nocturno's hilariously grim intro scream never fails to get me pumped.

Reactions: CiG