Controversial opinions on metal

Never Say Die is the weakest output (with Ozzy) from them and is inferior to Vol. 4 by miles. Really bad opinion.

Well it's an opinion. I think Vol 4 has some of there best songs but also the most forgettable tracks including FX which is a waste of space. Also the production is poor.

Well it's an opinion. I think Vol 4 has some of there best songs but also the most forgettable tracks including FX which is a waste of space. Also the production is poor.

Yeah, but these better songs are among the best of their entire catalogue. Wheels of Confusion, Tomorrow's Dream, Snowblind, Cornucopia and Under the Sun are all incredible songs, whereas the only enjoyable song on NSD is Air Dance. Vol. 4 is and will always be in Sabbath's top 3.

Yeah, but these better songs are among the best of their entire catalogue. Wheels of Confusion, Tomorrow's Dream, Snowblind, Cornucopia and Under the Sun are all incredible songs, whereas the only enjoyable song on NSD is Air Dance. Vol. 4 is and will always be in Sabbath's top 3.

Wheels of confusion/The straightened, Snowbound, Supernaut123, and Under the sun are the highlights. Tommorows dream and Cornucopia are good but weak by Sabbath standards. I like all of Never Say Die. Their best two albums imo though are Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage.

^I didn't count albums with Dio. I meant the Ozzy era.

1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
2. Vol. 4 / Master of Reality
3. Sabotage / Self Titled
4. Paranoid
5. Technical Ecstasy
6. NSD

How is that possible when the 3 Dio Black Sabbath albums are their best?

The three Dio albums are good but feel more typical and generic in comparison to the stuff with Ozzy (Dehumanizer tends to be quite underrated though). Also I don't care if Dio was technically a better singer than Ozzy I prefer Ozzy more as a vocalist. I guess that's another controversial opinion.

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
Hi, guys. I joined this website so I could post in this discussion.

Vol. 4 is definitely the best produced Black Sabbath and one of the best in metal in general. It's absolutely insane to me that anyone would dismiss it in favor of the Dio albums, which are also not even the best music with Dio.

Either way, I found that mixtape topic and that led me to this thread. I will try my hand at that game and hopefully stick around.

Reactions: CiG
I tend to agree with the previous that Vol 4 is too inconsistent to be a favorite of mind, but the weak spots sound less weak with continued listens to the point that I enjoy the album pretty strongly now.

Paranoid has their best production imo though.

yeah i feel that way too, obviously FX is a throwaway but it's too short for that to matter, 'saint vitus dance' is just ok, everything else i like these days. plus 'snowblind' is my favourite sabbath song and 'wheels of confusion...' + 'under the sun' are both probs top 10.

Heaven & Hell is the best Sabbath-album. Paranoid is the best with Ozzy.

Vol. 4 is amazing though and there is nothing wrong with the production, wtf?

Never Say Die is a great album but saying its better than Volume 4 is wee bit of a stretch. As much as I like it, if I had to rank the first 8 Sabbath albums I'd still probably put it at the end of the list. Its a real interesting album. All over the place musically but it captures the band in a pretty unique, albeit cloudy headspace. They were clearly throwing everything at the wall, no doubt in a last ditch effort to remain inspired as I think even they knew the original line-up was at the end of its rope. Nevertheless I think it works for the most part. There's some real wild stuff on it. "Air Dance" is a brilliant song, although I do get a bit bummed that the glorious opening riff never makes a reappearance whenever I hear it. The jazzy freak-out at the end makes up for it though.

I'd say the production of both Master of Reality and Volume 4 are fairly equal for the most part, but the crunch of the guitars on Volume 4 gives it the end. That fucking opening riff in "Under the Sun" is still earth shattering.

Cornucopia has to be the most underrated Sabbath song ever!
Its definitely up there. As far as Ozzy-era goes, I'd say "Thrill of it All" is the most underrated. Never really hear that one mentioned much. For Dio, its a toss up between "Slipping Away" and "Sins of the Father".

Sabbath albums 4 thru 8 are all varying degrees of overrated.

That don't make any sense at all when Technical ectasy and Never Say Die aren't even popular to begin with. Sabotage isn't even very popular though it's a contender for my favorite with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. It's fine if you dislike them but I'd like to hear a bit more reasoning as to why you feel they are overrated.