Controversial opinions on metal

In Flames is a weird band, they've changed quite a bit over the years. I like Jester Race, some of Colony, some of Reroute to Remain, some of Whoracle. Haven't heard their debut maybe I should.

Whoracle / Colony had their handfull of solid songs for the time, that would had probably aged better if that genre didnt get beaten to death in the coming decade, but they quickly descended with a mistep in Clayman that lead to planting their faces afterwards.

Last edited:
I'll note that the solid songs on Whoracle are quite solid (due to some of the guitar passages mainly). They can get quite stuck in one's head. This is not including any Depeche Mode covers, btw.

Whoracle is really the only thing by In Flames I can stand. Before Whoracle, nothing is that memorable imo. After Whoracle, they become Hot Topic metal.

Reactions: RedStorm
I hate essentially all of Blaze era Maiden, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son is an unimaginative abortion from the depths of Maiden's figurative colon, I love No Prayer For The Dying and Fear of The Dark, The Number of The Beast has basically only 2 or 3 songs that I enjoy, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Killer, the self-titled, Somewhere In Time, and Fear of The Dark are all either excellent or masterpieces, Brave New World is the last truly quality album they've put out, the rest of 2000's and 2010's Maiden beyond that is incurable stage IV aural cancer with the exception of some stuff from The Book of Souls.

Dance of Death is above par with great songs like Paschendale, A Matter of Life and Death is very enjoyable. The only album of theirs I don't like from XXI century is The Final Frontier.

Powerslave is definitely their finest hour imo. I agree with most of what Lovecraft said, except I haven't heard every Iron Maiden record in great depth.

Reactions: CiG
Dance of Death is above par with great songs like Paschendale, A Matter of Life and Death is very enjoyable. The only album of theirs I don't like from XXI century is The Final Frontier.
Paschendale is an inoperable ass tumor, so is the album as a whole, and A Matter of Life and Death is a trite, chorus-obsessed wankfest.

I used to not like The Final Frontier but lately I've come to think that it's their most underrated revival-era album. I think its major problem is that it starts with several incredibly bad songs so that once you get to the good stuff you're already in a negative disposition towards the album or you've zoned out entirely out of boredom. Which is a shame, because tracks 6-9 of that album is the strongest run of songs of their entire revival-era discography.