Controversial opinions on metal

wow, I didnt expect you to be into Zappa lol. Thats a real out there music. I wasnt expecting that. People into Metal often wont listen to other types of music, it is to your credit dude.

wow, I didnt expect you to be into Zappa lol. Thats a real out there music. I wasnt expecting that. People into Metal often wont listen to other types of music, it is to your credit dude.

I used to be like that where I only listened to metal but then I got interested in more experimental stuff so I started getting into prog rock and Krautrock eventually journeying into other really avant garde stuff. I only rather recently got back into metal which is why I came here. But yeah more than metal I listen to experimental rock and industrial.

What kind of metalheads have you actually met? In my experience they're usually some of the most open minded music listeners and they listen to a wide range of genres. You only need to look at "the thread where you talk about music you like" and the "non-metal themed mixtape mixtape game" in the GMD social forum to see that is true of most (all?) posters here.

Please don't go in to a story about how a long time ago you met this one metalhead and he was only into metal and so you've based all your thoughts on that.

Reactions: CiG
What kind of metalheads have you actually met? In my experience they're usually some of the most open minded music listeners and they listen to a wide range of genres. You only need to look at "the thread where you talk about music you like" and the "non-metal themed mixtape mixtape game" in the GMD social forum to see that is true of most (all?) posters here.

Please don't go in to a story about how a long time ago you met this one metalhead and he was only into metal and so you've based all your thoughts on that.

I'll be fair to Rusty and say I have seen a lot of metal heads who were only interested in metal. It obviously isn't an issue on this site at all but I think it's more to do with the teenage crowd they get into metal and they don't care to really dig into anything else. As I've said I was like that when I was younger the only other music I really paid attention to were a few classic rock bands I was already into like Pink Floyd and Queen. I do find it funny though how many of the metal heads I've spoken to are especially intolerant of more extreme stuff like harsh noise and power electronics.

Of course there are many people whom like Metal who are into other types of music. But also there are many whom listen only to metal and condemn other types of music, particularly pop and soft music. There is another observation I made that I always find interesting, and it is where so many people deny that they like Abba. I always make a point of saying I like Abba, because I do ( I do I do I do lol ) because why should I have to hide that? Its like people have a fear of ridicule sometimes, and not all, I mean generally, I get the feeling that people say they dont like Abba songs so as to avoid ridicule. Abba in my opinion were the best writers of melody and pop songs in history. Of course some people generally dont like Abba, but, there is definately those whom will deny it lol

Of course there are many people whom like Metal who are into other types of music. But also there are many whom listen only to metal and condemn other types of music, particularly pop and soft music. There is another observation I made that I always find interesting, and it is where so many people deny that they like Abba. I always make a point of saying I like Abba, because I do ( I do I do I do lol ) because why should I have to hide that? Its like people have a fear of ridicule sometimes, and not all, I mean generally, I get the feeling that people say they dont like Abba songs so as to avoid ridicule. Abba in my opinion were the best writers of melody and pop songs in history. Of course some people generally dont like Abba, but, there is definately those whom will deny it ( that they like it )lol

I made typo error here, am eating my supper at same time as posting

Abba really did have a fantastic sense of melody and have made some of the catchiest songs in pop music period. Kate Bush is also excellent imo. Hell I'll come out and say I enjoy some Cyndi Lauper and Bannanaramma from time to time lol.

I do find it funny though how many of the metal heads I've spoken to are especially intolerant of more extreme stuff like harsh noise and power electronics.

It's because we know first hand that extremity can be done well. Harsh noise, at least, is pretty much what people who don't listen to Extreme Metal think Extreme Metal is.

The Ramleh - Hole in the heart, I havent heard of those people and that is a really interesting recording. I am out of the loop and wouldnt know the categories they have these days to put that in. Bands are brave and genuine musicians i.m.o. when they put this sort of music out as it isnt neccessarily going to bring themselves huge success, because of the potential listeners available for it. It is in a sense going back to when bands like `Yes` started experimenting in the early 70`s. Pioneers. I admire always the pioneers. It reminds me of Hawkwind here and there in that song.

The Ramleh - Hole in the heart, I havent heard of those people and that is a really interesting recording. I am out of the loop and wouldnt know the categories they have these days to put that in. Bands are brave and genuine musicians i.m.o. when they put this sort of music out as it isnt neccessarily going to bring themselves huge success, because of the potential listeners available for it. It is in a sense going back to when bands like `Yes` started experimenting in the early 70`s. Pioneers. I admire always the pioneers. It reminds me of Hawkwind here and there in that song.

Pretty sure there aren't any scales in there, dude.

Band is called Ramleh, Hole in the heart is just the name of the album. They fall into the power electronics, harsh noise, and industrial category. They started in the early 80s and this recording is from 1987 but come the 90s they did go into a more commercial psychedelic rock phase which I enjoy as well.

Yeah that's not too bad I guess, something about it kind of reminds me of Neurosis's The Eye of Every Storm. Still, seems more like a certain moods kind of listen than something I could see myself listening to on a regular basis. Just not enough happening.

Well yeah most harsh noise to me is mood music. Despite technically being extreme it's usually more something you lay down and listen to for the atmosphere and textures. Harsh noise is surprisingly enough often focused heavily on subtlety. At least that's the way I see it I mean thinking about it I imagine these concerts would be hell to go to.

Band is called Ramleh, Hole in the heart is just the name of the album. They fall into the power electronics, harsh noise, and industrial category. They started in the early 80s and this recording is from 1987 but come the 90s they did go into a more commercial psychedelic rock phase which I enjoy as well.

Yeah, this track is much better actually. Where do you get their music from?

I have been having to go back in the past into classical music and orchestras to get escapism and a higher fix of Art and meaning these days. I was picking out a Cello player in a concert I watched this weekend as being a sound that drew me in a lot. I crave meaning. Literature is another subject I am forced to pursue to lift myself up and I find I belong there, with Poets from the past and Composers. Love Art these days too. I have bands like Rush to thank for these options, they lead me there. Of course it is a wonderful contrast sometimes to blast some good rock music out too.