Controversial opinions on metal

I like Motorhead. I met Lemmy, clarke and philthy backstage after a gig once and Lemmy was a superb bloke, what a great down to earth guy. I play a bit of the classic motorhead now and again.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Can you dl whole albums, or is it just a track by track thing? It's annoying me how much of the stuff that gets recced on this forum is impossible to find, so I'll need to check it out.

You can do do whole albums I mean it's a file sharing program so you type in what you want and it'll bring it up if somebody has it. Might have to try typing in different things and sometimes you have to wait for a connection with a user who has what your looking for but generally even really obscure demos will pop up from several users. It's really the best place to get obscure music to my knowledge though a friend told me about something called Russian trackers that's better for discographies but I know nothing about it.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
Nah, i download a lot of shit that i've never heard, and if i like it i buy it.

That being said my room is filled with hundreds and hundreds of CD's and Vinyl. Sadly i got rid of most of my tapes years ago. :(

edit: but im glad to see that your opinion still hasn't changed. ;)

Downloading music that you don't legally own is for entitled poseurs. Nothing will ever change my opinion about that.

I'm poor. I don't have the money to buy all the music I listen to. Especially with a lot of this really obscure stuff and demos that are impossible to obtain. Besides I do buy CDs when I can. I do prefer to own physical copies over mp3s but again I'm poor.

People into Metal often wont listen to other types of music, it is to your credit dude.

Bullshit.

Fuck pop music

You don't like pop music? What the hell is wrong with you?

;)

I am out of the loop and wouldnt know the categories they have these days to put that in. Bands are brave and genuine musicians i.m.o. when they put this sort of music out as it isnt neccessarily going to bring themselves huge success, because of the potential listeners available for it. It is in a sense going back to when bands like `Yes` started experimenting in the early 70`s. Pioneers. I admire always the pioneers. It reminds me of Hawkwind here and there in that song.

It's not really going back to Yes. Yes were progressive but still very palatable, if anything it's going back to the 70's experimental artists like Nurse With Wound.

20 years ago before rusty water was cryogenically frozen this was more the case I think.

Indeed I was cryogenically frozen and ever since the re-awakening I discovered I have lost my ego and suspect they may be covertly testing an `altruistic` chip in my mind. At the same time a Robot from the future appeared and threatened to kill everyone involved with the then Guns n Roses reunion. So I guess that folk in the future are pissed about them turning up late for gigs too!

Downloading music that you don't legally own is for entitled poseurs. Nothing will ever change my opinion about that.

I can see this criticism for stuff that is available for a reasonable price, but do you feel the same about OOP obscure releases that go for hundreds of dollars on the used market? Or arent even available at all? These days this is the only stuff I download. Considering that bands dont see a dime from used purchases, I dont feel guilty at all for downloading expensive OOP material that only sells for exorbitant prices on the used market. Should rare black metal releases really only be heard by people trve enough to have purchased the demo tape limited to 100 copies? To be quite honest im glad that we can take advantage of the vastness of the internet to be able to be exposed to and listen to music that we never would have heard about otherwise. I agree that music shouldnt be stolen, but first and foremost music was created to be heard.

Artists mostly never see a dime from album sales anyway, unless we're talking mega popular bands, yet this is the often repeated logic or assumed logic behind legally attaining music.

It's a mistake to justify the practice in that way. What you're actually doing is supporting the labels that make it possible for these bands to record and release their music. Depending on the label, I think it's almost as important to support them as it is the bands.

I can see this criticism for stuff that is available for a reasonable price, but do you feel the same about OOP obscure releases that go for hundreds of dollars on the used market? Or arent even available at all? These days this is the only stuff I download. Considering that bands dont see a dime from used purchases, I dont feel guilty at all for downloading expensive OOP material that only sells for exorbitant prices on the used market. Should rare black metal releases really only be heard by people trve enough to have purchased the demo tape limited to 100 copies? To be quite honest im glad that we can take advantage of the vastness of the internet to be able to be exposed to and listen to music that we never would have heard about otherwise. I agree that music shouldnt be stolen, but first and foremost music was created to be heard.

It's stil not really a valid excuse since you aren't automatically entitled to hear every piece of music just because it's rare, but it's a better way of doing things than what the majority is doing.

And yes, a lot of bands will never see a profit from their music releases, but their record labels will not finance them to release new music if their other music didn't sell well enough because they won't be able to break even. This is an issue that a lot of smaller bands have actually encountered. Jeopardizing record labels and their relationships with bands isn't a good thing.

Reactions: Vilden and CiG
I'm also kind of annoyed about people who think they are entitled to everything and if you can't/don't want to buy it they just download it. Maybe be content with what you have instead? You don't have to have heard every single band on metal-archives.

Still, I don't live 100% as I learn as I download too from time to time and can't really justify it so...