Controversial opinions on metal

Do you actually mean that it is possible for an artist on a small label to see absolutely no money from their album sales? While I am aware that labels will take in a majority of the profits earned, I cant believe that a band would receive no compensation for their work. I say that I am buying the music to support the artist, but really what I mean is that I buy music to support the music industry. The artist should get a portion of my contribution, and when I buy new I know that they rightfully are.

The label makes money in order to pay for the band's studio time, the money a band makes is usually from merch and shows.

I don't know how it works there, but calling/texting and data are two separate entities entirely. One does not need data to text or call.

Just accept gracefully that your point was bad.

Why would anyone buy a smartphone to only text and call, again that defeats the purpose. You need data to use any of the mobile smartphone features such as gps, Internet, apps.. You can call and text without data on a cheap flip phone so who would buy a smart phone just to do that? Find recent numbers that show only a minority of Americans use data, oh nvm, you can't.

@Elric of Melniboné look in your PM and let us know who it was. Im kind oif interested to know who beat me to it .... because i didn't see a single post from anyone indicating they thought you were her or he was you or whatever.

Anyway, why not just give it up and merge your two accounts? What's the big deal?

I didn't realize that it saved the messages. I thought private messages got deleted after a few days. His name was Vegard Pompey.

As for your other question, I don't have any desire to merge accounts with someone else. Isn't there a moderator who can view my IP address? That seems like another good way to end this debate.

I have no problem with people that do it, knowing what they're doing is wrong in some way.

I don't try try to justify it as a general practice, but I do think with OOP material is an exception. The dumpster-diving analogy that ID made was a valid one. The fact that Elric rebutted that analogy by implying that taking a TV that someone else threw away still counts as stealing crosses over into Lawful Stupid territory.

I don't try try to justify it as a general practice, but I do think with OOP material is an exception. The dumpster-diving analogy that ID made was a valid one. The fact that Elric rebutted that analogy by implying that taking a TV that someone else threw away still counts as stealing crosses over into Lawful Stupid territory.

I don't see it as an exception, but my capacity for sympathising with illegal downloading definitely increases in that scenario.
I want Legend's From The Fjords so badly...

Why would anyone buy a smartphone to only text and call, again that defeats the purpose.
smartphone

Find recent numbers that show only a minority of Americans use data, oh nvm, you can't.
I'm just saying, not every smartphone user has data. This is fact and can't be refuted.

And even if it were not fact, and everyone did have data, 32% is a significant enough of a margin to make your point bad.

I'm patient in the extreme, no point whining too much about an OOP release until you have everything in your collection. There is so much music out there...

I actually said that I don't want the TV because I already have enough TVs for my home. Just like I don't need to download music because I own enough and can buy more if I want it. Thanks for your time though.

Bravo to VP!

You can go around the whole IP address thing pretty easily if you have a celly.

I'm pretty sure it's very simple to identify the difference between a mobile IP address and the IP address of your home internet connection. You should even be able to see a general location and the name of the internet host.

Anonymous proxy host names also look pretty dissimilar to normal internet addresses as far as I recall.

So I'm not sure why this seems so challenging, but I also don't think that I've seen a moderator since I joined this site.

The label makes money in order to pay for the band's studio time, the money a band makes is usually from merch and shows.

Would they not pay for the studio time if they didnt sell any albums? If I were a musician, my first goal would be to break even on the ability to make my own music in a recording studio and get some hard copies.

I'm patient in the extreme, no point whining too much about an OOP release until you have everything in your collection. There is so much music out there...

What is wrong with wanting the OOP release then? Maybe ive heard it before, it's by an artist that I already own more readily available stuff from, or at the very least maybe someone I know has told me that id like it. This has nothing to do with wanting some goddamn obscure piece of music ive never heard before, it's about the desire of obtaining a good listening copy of something that I already know I like. Other good music be damned.

I'm just saying, not every smartphone user has data. This is fact and can't be refuted.

And even if it were not fact, and everyone did have data, 32% is a significant enough of a margin to make your point bad.

Just looked it up, 90% of smartphone owners use the Internet on their phone. .68*.9=.61 so 61% of Americans use data. Thus the majority of Americans have access to YouTube on mobile. You don't, heh

Would they not pay for the studio time if they didnt sell any albums? If I were a musician, my first goal would be to break even on the ability to make my own music in a recording studio and get some hard copies.

If the label makes no money at all on album sales, they'll likely not offer the band a contract. Many underground labels operate at a loss for most of their existence.

What is wrong with wanting the OOP release then? Maybe ive heard it before, it's by an artist that I already own more readily available stuff from, or at the very least maybe someone I know has told me that id like it. This has nothing to do with wanting some goddamn obscure piece of music ive never heard before, it's about the desire of obtaining a good listening copy of something that I already know I like. Other good music be damned.

There's nothing wrong with wanting it at all. I'm just talking about my logic with OOP releases.

Just looked it up, 90% of smartphone owners use the Internet on their phone. .68*.9=.61 so 61% of Americans use data. Thus the majority of Americans have access to YouTube on mobile. You don't, heh
Your point was that there wasn't a difference between using Youtube and listening multiple times, and downloading a song to listen multiple times. I proved that was certifiably false.

You then went on to post a lot of stats that didn't even end up really supporting your claim anyways; you can't claim the two things are the same when 39% of Americans would disagree with you.

You can feel free to joke about my cell phone (lol) all you like. Go for it, I do the same sometimes too. But bottom line is, you were wrong and made a shit point. Lmao. Try to accept it gracefully.

If the label makes no money at all on album sales, they'll likely not offer the band a contract. Many underground labels operate at a loss for most of their existence.

What I was getting at is that the band is getting kickbacks for their studio costs from album sales, so even if a profit isnt made, the band is still seeing your money. As for the labels knowing whether they will make a profit or not, id imagine that this isnt exactly known beforehand. Shitty bands not being offered contracts is fine by me tbh.

There's nothing wrong with wanting it at all. I'm just talking about my logic with OOP releases.

You mean the sheer legality of it, or that it is unethical? It's probably illegal, but I dont think there are ethical ramifications that should be worried about.