Controversial opinions on metal

What's the difference between listening to a song for free on YouTube as many times as you want, and listening to a song for free on iTunes as many times as you want?

You only have a problem with it physically being on your hard drive? But it's ok to be physically in your ram, modem and speakers?
Unless you have mobile data, can't bring youtube with you lmfao.

I didn’t imagine that I would wind up in such a weird situation when I joined this site. It's funny.

Anyway, my offer remains open and I'll probably put some photos up tomorrow as it's getting to be pretty late and I don't want to bother my wife.

68% have smartphones, yes. How many of those smartphone users have mobile data? I imagine that would lower it at least down to about 50% in the long run.

Either way, even if it was 68%, your point is still awful because a significant portion of people still cannot bring youtube with them.

68% have smartphones, yes. How many of those smartphone users have mobile data? I imagine that would lower it at least down to about 50% in the long run.

Either way, even if it was 68%, your point is still awful because a significant portion of people still cannot bring youtube with them.

Who has a smartphone without data? Anyone? That would defeat the purpose. If you're only using wifi get a tablet, laptop or hell a 3ds and a cheap phone

God damn this discussion went places, I just want to give me 2 cents before it dies though. It also helps from a sense of perspective to know that Elric = Omni, honestly wasnt expecting that one.

It's stil not really a valid excuse since you aren't automatically entitled to hear every piece of music just because it's rare, but it's a better way of doing things than what the majority is doing.

No I guess I wouldnt be automatically entitled to any random work - an artist could actually express a lack of desire for their music to spread. I however assume the contrary; that an artist would rather see his art reach a larger audience than to pointlessly restrict it. I imply consent just as I would imply consent to give CPR to someone who was unconscious after suffering a heart attack (in the case of a DNR I would have to abstain via the patient's previously expressed orders). To me it is implied that an artist would want their art to be heard unless otherwise noted. Im honestly not about to take the moral high ground and avoid listening to the music if I cannot obtain a physical copy, so I guess you would consider me to have a sense of entitlement. However I do feel as though it is a justified cause for reasons I just mentioned.

Artists mostly never see a dime from album sales anyway, unless we're talking mega popular bands, yet this is the often repeated logic or assumed logic behind legally attaining music.

It's a mistake to justify the practice in that way. What you're actually doing is supporting the labels that make it possible for these bands to record and release their music. Depending on the label, I think it's almost as important to support them as it is the bands.

Do you actually mean that it is possible for an artist on a small label to see absolutely no money from their album sales? While I am aware that labels will take in a majority of the profits earned, I cant believe that a band would receive no compensation for their work. I say that I am buying the music to support the artist, but really what I mean is that I buy music to support the music industry. The artist should get a portion of my contribution, and when I buy new I know that they rightfully are.

I'm also kind of annoyed about people who think they are entitled to everything and if you can't/don't want to buy it they just download it. Maybe be content with what you have instead? You don't have to have heard every single band on metal-archives.

For me it isnt about being a completionist and having everything. An example of some of the music that I have downloaded comes from the currently defunt Rhinocervs label. They release underground black metal cassettes in very low quantities. I own a few of them, but some of them are outright unobtainable. What if I hear great things about a particular release that I cannot purchase? If I can find it, even if it is just a download, I am naturally going to want it. Why should I not take advantage of being able to obtain this? Because moral high ground? This is an irrational thing to be annoyed about.

I have alreadly explained that I oppose such behavior because you aren't entitled to steal something because of its obscurity.

Also, if the owner of the music doesn't have plans to reissue the album or make it available, that should legally be in their hands to decide. You don't get to decide for them. Again, an issue of entitlement.

My view on reasons why the artist wouldnt reissue an album: one, it wont be profitable on a scale large enough to justify such an act of charity. Two, they dont really care either way about distributing the album and just wanted to create some music. Three, they do not want anyone else to hear it who doesnt already have it. To me reason 3 would be the only valid reason to be outraged by someone's sense of entitlement to hear such an album. The other reasons are pragmatic, and from my perspective it should be safe to assume that they would not mind their music seeing some extra appreciation. Sure, it's a sense of entitlement, but this does not mean that I am unjustified. You must be a fucking saint in real life to look down on such innocuous downloading activities.

Looking at this discussion, it looks like the rest of the downloaders feel like their downloading of general music is as equally justifiable than just being restricted to unobtainables. Quite simply, I disagree. I have a couple of downloaded albums on my PC that I have not purchased, so I am guilty myself, but im not about to think im not doing anything wrong by doing so. I wont delete them because I dont want to (even though I dont download anymore). Sucks to be a hypocrite, but I have worse things to worry about.

Who has a smartphone without data? Anyone? That would defeat the purpose. If you're only using wifi get a tablet, laptop or hell a 3ds and a cheap phone
I don't know how it works there, but calling/texting and data are two separate entities entirely. One does not need data to text or call.

Just accept gracefully that your point was bad.