Controversial opinions on metal

I'm in no way absolving the people who put up videos. If you were asking what I thought about people hosting videos without consent, I would have to say they're also guilty of theft.

I'm talking about watching them and how I don't have a problem doing so if they're already available on such a site.

Then you're a consumer of stolen goods by that logic though, just like you would be listening to downloaded music..

Then you're a consumer of stolen goods by that logic though, just like you would be listening to downloaded music..

Hardly, since I'm not making a copy of it for my own use like I would be if I downloaded it. As far as I know, the practice of watching a video of copyrighted material on YouTube isn't even illegal, for the same reason.

The problem isn't really whether it's theft, the very fact that people go to such lengths to justify illegally downloading music just proves that they know there is something fundamentally wrong about what they're doing, especially when they justify the action by appeals to empathy. I'm poor etc.

As was already stated multiple times against Elric's position, justifying what is right and wrong via the law is flawed in too many ways. Helping a slave escape a plantation was technically theft, but you wouldn't feel the emotional/moral need to justify your actions if caught doing so.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
Are you one of those people who just hates everything Opeth has produced post-Ghost Reveries, or is it this track in particular you take issue with?
Opeth? More like Blowpeth AMIRITE

That was the longest, most boring shitfest of people retardedly trying to justify illegal downloading.
I justify with one simple reasoning: I just feel like it tbh. Breaking the law, breaking the law. Motherfuckers.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
My opposition of downloading has nothing to do with the law. I only brought up the law when people tried to claim that they aren't stealing.

What's the difference between listening to a song for free on YouTube as many times as you want, and listening to a song for free on iTunes as many times as you want?

You only have a problem with it physically being on your hard drive? But it's ok to be physically in your ram, modem and speakers?

What's the difference between listening to a song for free on YouTube as many times as you want, and listening to a song for free on iTunes as many times as you want?

You only have a problem with it physically being on your hard drive? But it's ok to be physically in your ram, modem and speakers?

I don't listen to the same song on YouTube over and over again, so that doesn't apply to me. I might listen to one song by a band that I don't know if I plan to buy an album by them.

I have a problem with people downloading a permanent digital copy of something and keeping it in their music collection. It's a completely different thing than listening to one song by a band in a way that grants me no agency over the recording.

Reactions: Serjeant Grumbles
If Elric isn't Omni then that's the most convincing unintentional impression I've ever seen.

Snap_niCkR9emKe2146369623.png

I'm going to do the thing that you guys suggested. Tell me what you would like me to have written down in my photos, and I'll even throw in having this site open on a computer in my photos.

It seems like good fun and then you all can move on from this fixation.

I'm going to do the thing that you guys suggested. Tell me what you would like me to have written down in my photos, and I'll even throw in having this site open on a computer in my photos.

Post the beers in your fridge, with UM written on your hand. That will convince me one way or the other.

Post the beers in your fridge, with UM written on your hand. That will convince me one way or the other.

Is Omni a drinker of a particular brand or something? What is that supposed to prove?

Anyway, I haven't got any beer right now. I drank it all. :(

As an aside: Have you ever stolen anything before? In your life?

In hindsight, quite a bit of shit actually. Not really recently but fucking hell I stole hundreds of dollars of shit for family and friends when I worked at a couple different stores. Pretty sure everything under the tree from me one Christmas was lifted. Just to do it, nothing I ever actually needed, real shithead stuff.

All this would prove is that you were a guy to begin with. Which is something more than quite a few people here had suspected for years already.

Probably worth throwing it out there that there wasn't a shred of proof Omni was a female anyway as she refused to post any picture of herself and posting one wouldn't really prove anything.

Edit: shit, TNB beat me to the punch.

Hardly, since I'm not making a copy of it for my own use like I would be if I downloaded it. As far as I know, the practice of watching a video of copyrighted material on YouTube isn't even illegal, for the same reason.

You're still doing it without the consent of the copyright holder, you hypocritical thief you.

Reactions: Baroque