Controversial opinions on metal

It definitely depends on the band. People also eat up things like those two-disc deluxe editions of older albums that are coming out constantly nowadays with the demos and rare stuff on them. I own dozens of them myself and a lot of them are pretty expensive now just a few years later because they're not being reprinted.
I hate those new editions with lots of extras. I hate bonus tracks, I mean I never listen to random live recordings that sounds like shit, etc. Give me the original album with original mastering, orignal track order, original cover art, etc. etc. No fancy shit that I never use anyway. If I want a demo compilation or a live album or something I will fucking buy a demo compilation or a live album, not a regular album!

Last edited:
I hate those new editions with lots of extras. I hate bonus tracks, I mean I never listen to random live recordings that sounds like shit, etc. Give me the original album with original mastering, orignal track order, original cover art, etc. etc. No fancy shit that I never use anyway. If I want a demo compilation or a live album or something I will fucking buy a demo compilation or a live album, not an regular album!

I hate it when they just stick the demos of the official tracks that almost certainly aren't as good. Take Tales of Creation by Candlemass for example. They had versions of Dark Reflections (I think) and Somewhere in Nowhere that sounded nowhere near as tight or well-played as the finished, refined work. Why even include them? Who would be interested in that when buying the regular album?

Fuck bonus tracks unless they're part of the same recording sessions. Even at that they should have just been included anyway instead of on the Japanese release only. When I rip CDs for MP3 player use I only do the original album.

It's also especially stupid when it's a random live version or part of a demo, I mean really you can't include the whole thing?

To be fair in many cases the demos sound better than the studio material especially in the case of thrash and death metal. With Voivod the material on the To the death demo sounds much better than the studio recordings on War and Pain and Rrroooaaarrr! With Demolition Hammer the Necrology demo versions are better than the studio counterparts as well.

I think often death metal and grindcore sounds better on demos since the production is more raw.

Reactions: CiG
Fuck bonus tracks unless they're part of the same recording sessions. Even at that they should have just been included anyway instead of on the Japanese release only. When I rip CDs for MP3 player use I only do the original album.

It's also especially stupid when it's a random live version or part of a demo, I mean really you can't include the whole thing?

What about when they stick on an ep or previously unreleased tracks?

I like all of that archival stuff usually. A lot of the bonus tracks on those types of things wind up being completely unavailable unless you own a single or demo from 20 or 30 years ago. It isn't like you have to out the second disc in unless you want to listen to it.

I'm not big on bonus tracks because I'm very OCD and just want the album as it was originally presented. I want the album to actually end after the final listed track.

What'sI your opinion on Poison - Into the abyss?

I love Into the Abyss, it's one of my favourite death metal recordings from the 80s.

Also, both Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death are great records. As good as Autopsy at their best? No, but that's hardly relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
How I feel when I listen to post-CoD Obituary:

51NpmPl2-DL.jpg