Controversial opinions on metal

Nah different band different sound. Ozzman's right. Tardy was a new breed when they were first unleashed. One of the best easily. And thats what you were answering

Count my assertion of Obituary being overrated as a separate controversial opinion if that helps. Tardy has a unique sound, although he overdoes the aaaaaauuuuuugh sound at the end of each line, which can get annoying. I'll second Espada in saying that Frank Mullen is pretty much the master of the death metal vocal form. As much as DM vocals need to be intense, restraint is also key.

Always been a fan of Frank but going toward a favorite id possibly veer more towards a Brett Hoffman type

Xecutioner's Return as an album it falls short, like most Obituary after COD, but its heavy and satisfying when the mood beckons

Always been a fan of Frank but going toward a favorite id possibly veer more towards a Brett Hoffman type

Xecutioner's Return as an album it falls short, like most Obituary after COD, but its heavy and satisfying when the mood beckons

Well considering Malevolent Creation made two of the best death metal albums ever..

Malevolent Creation + Obituary < Most Other Death Metal

Out of interest, what are you favourite death metal records? Top 10 or so if you don't mind.

I'm not disputing this claim, I like the first 2 Obituary records plenty, but they wouldn't be anywhere near my top 10 or anything. Malevolent Creation I find to be decent/good. I wouldn't say they were lesser than most other death metal bands though, because plenty of death metal is mediocre/trash.

Out of interest, what are you favourite death metal records? Top 10 or so if you don't mind.

Pretty rough list off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

Immolation - Close to a World Below
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Gorguts - Obscura
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Monstrosity - Imperial Doom
Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne
Demilich - Nespithe
Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind
Atheist - Piece of Time

Edit: Given how much I like them, I feel like Cannibal Corpse deserves to be in there. But they don't really have any one album that's a clear cut above the rest IMO.

Reactions: Phylactery
Pretty rough list off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

Immolation - Close to a World Below
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Gorguts - Obscura
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes
Monstrosity - Imperial Doom
Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne
Demilich - Nespithe
Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind
Atheist - Piece of Time

Edit: Given how much I like them, I feel like Cannibal Corpse deserves to be in there. But they don't really have any one album that's a clear cut above the rest IMO.

Pretty good list. As for Cannibal Corpse, while I don't like them at all, I think people often cite The Bleeding as one of the works "that stand above the rest".

Pretty good list. As for Cannibal Corpse, while I don't like them at all, I think people often cite The Bleeding as one of the works "that stand above the rest".

Least favourite CC album :p. As for Martyr and Hate Eternal, their first albums deserve a relisten if you haven't heard them in a while - both criminally undervalued.

Winds of Creation and Effigy of the Forgotten also deserve a place, on further reflection.

Now Cannibal Corpse! There's an overrated Death metal band lol or at least far more iconic than they are actually good since I think most metal heads do agree they were never that special. Also I probably would put Slowly we rot in my top 10 metal albums. I find it more entertain and enjoyable some other mentioned classics like Altars of madness. I'll have to give Autopsy another listen to judge them though.

Also the Poison demo or album I mentioned Into the Abyss I asked because I just started listening to it recently but that just jumped up there right with Symphonies of Sickness for me. First time a death metal album has really impressed me for a while.

Now Cannibal Corpse! There's an overrated Death metal band lol or at least far more iconic than they are actually good since I think most metal heads do agree they were never that special. Also I probably would put Slowly we rot in my top 10 metal albums. I find it more entertain and enjoyable some other mentioned classics like Altars of madness. I'll have to give Autopsy another listen to judge them though.

They're a difficult one for me, because as I've said I don't think they've produced any one album that deserves to be included in a "greatest of all time" list or w/e. Their early albums were really solid, but nothing revolutionary. What makes them stand out for me, though, is their consistency, plus the fact that their last few albums have absolutely crushed. Even the albums that most people dislike (Gore Obsessed, Gallery of Suicide) are still far from being bad - they just don't quite live up to the standard of the rest.

I can't get enough of this CC track:

Since it was mentioned from what I've seen Tomb of the Mutilated is the most well received CC album. Obviously I don't listen enough to for an opinion but I think it's a safe bet it's the fan favorite even if The Bleeding sold more.