Controversial opinions on metal

What are your favorite thrash demos, MrTagoMago? I can understand not liking Slayer but liking certain thrash demos if the styles are different, it just becomes silly when they praise stuff obviously indebted to Slayer but not Slayer themselves. I mean, I liked demo thrash before I really appreciated Slayer, but I mostly liked the bands that didn't sound anything like Slayer, usually obscure Watchtower or Mekong Delta-influenced bands.

Yeah, Devastation is probably going to top his list.

If I make It I will but it's going to take some time to make. If you have any recs I'll look into them if you post em. The thing with Death metal though is that while I like a lot of it I do find it to be the one where I get bored most easily if an album isn't above average.

I'll post my top 5, since maybe you haven't heard some of them. This is in order.

1. The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: the Triumph
2. At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
3. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
4. Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
5. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence/Asphyx -The Rack (Cheating a bit here, but whatever, I wanted to include both.)

It's too hard to go to 10 because then I'd feel like I was missing too many great ones off. I'd have to go to 20-30 which would require more thought.

What are your favorite thrash demos, MrTagoMago? I can understand not liking Slayer but liking certain thrash demos if the styles are different, it just becomes silly when they praise stuff obviously indebted to Slayer but not Slayer themselves. I mean, I liked demo thrash before I really appreciated Slayer, but I mostly liked the bands that didn't sound anything like Slayer, usually obscure Watchtower or Mekong Delta-influenced bands.

If I do a thrash list I probably wouldn't have many if any demos on it. I haven't looked into too many thrash demos since I've generally had a much easier time finding thrash albums I liked as opposed to death metal where there's not as much material that has grabbed me. That said Voivod's To the death... demo from 1984 I consider essential since the version of the songs on it are superior to the versions that appear on the albums War and Pain and RRROOOAAARRR.

Yeah I could have put a whole host of things for number 5, which is why I edited in Asphyx occupying the position with Necrophobic right after I posted the list. The top 4 has been pretty much cemented for a long time now, though.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
Credit for only having one American band in there btw. Edit Asphyx back in and you'll have the distinction of having included five different bands from five different countries (whereas I'm pretty sure I only had one non-American band in a list of 10).

Reactions: Phylactery
Ah, grindcore. Now, there's a genre I may never fully immerse myself in. The only band I like from it is Napalm Death and the only albums I like thus far are Harmony Corruption and Utopia Banished.