Controversial opinions on metal

Would a controversial opinion be that Napalm Death's death metal material is better than their grind material? I think so.

I'll add Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness as a good gateway into grindcore though personally I see it more in the death metal terrortory.

Also here's another short grindcore ep I really like.

Would a controversial opinion be that Napalm Death's death metal material is better than their grind material? I think so.

A lot of people would agree with that actually.

Man, the vocals on that Fear of God were terrible. I can get behind the production and guitar tone somewhat, but it just wasn't for me.
I don't get how it's terrible if you like Death metal but ok lol. To each their own.

A lot of people would agree with that actually.

I don't get how it's terrible if you like Death metal but ok lol. To each their own.

Hmm...I always got the feeling it was the other way around for some reason. Many share the opinion that it was the grind albums that put them on the map. I've always doubted that though, seeing as how they made some of the best death metal of their time.

Hmm...I always got the feeling it was the other way around for some reason. Many share the opinion that it was the grind albums that put them on the map. I've always doubted that though, seeing as how they made some of the best death metal of their time.

They're more associated with grindcore but it's common for folks to prefer there pure death metal stuff.

I don't see how anyone can listen to South of heaven and not be annoyed at the laughable vocals and pitiful attempt to create a brooding atmosphere. It also comes off as if they are trying to hold back on that album which adds to the awkwardness of it.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I never understood the praise this album gets, its always come across as extremely mediocre to me.

@ Internally Deformed - The assumption that if you cant appreciate South of Heaven you are an illusioned try hard who only listens to inferior demos for their perceived rarity (this is basically the poser argument), is just fucking stupid. Ive grown up listening to this album since before I ever dabbled in rare metal, and I never really see what my friends saw in it. I was all about Reign in Blood back then, though I have since grown more fond of Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits. There is nothing wrong with having differing taste in metal.

There is no way I can get behind Napalm Death's DM material being better than their grindcore. And I fucking love Utilitarian. It's just that I have to go with the first 3 hands down. And yea, that's how ive always seen them too ProphetofHatred. They are a great bridge band for death metalheads to get more into grindcore.

Reactions: MrTagoMago
@ Internally Deformed - The assumption that if you cant appreciate South of Heaven you are an illusioned try hard who only listens to inferior demos for their perceived rarity (this is basically the poser argument), is just fucking stupid. Ive grown up listening to this album since before I ever dabbled in rare metal, and I never really see what my friends saw in it. I was all about Reign in Blood back then, though I have since grown more fond of Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits. There is nothing wrong with having differing taste in metal.

Chill out, my point was more about MrTago's description of Slayer as mediocre than about that particular album; that just happened to be the one we ended up discussing.

It does seem strange to me that someone could dislike Slayer while liking scores of bands that emulate Slayer and probably would never have existed without them, but I get that taste is subjective and whatnot.

Scum is pure grind surely?
Id say no its standard deathgrind.

Chill out, my point was more about MrTago's description of Slayer as mediocre than about that particular album; that just happened to be the one we ended up discussing.

It does seem strange to me that someone could dislike Slayer while liking scores of bands that emulate Slayer and probably would never have existed without them, but I get that taste is subjective and whatnot.
You seem to overstate how much thrash and death metal I actually listen to.

I listened to this because I love the word "bourgeois". It was physically painful to listen to on headphones!
2 br00tal 4 u.