Controversial opinions on metal

I can get why someone might not like the latter two, particularly Iron Maiden. But Slayer have written some of the coolest riffs in extreme music, and all their first four albums are pure fucking auditory evil from start to finish. I don't see how anyone with even a casual interest in Death Metal or Thrash could listen to a song like Altar of Sacrifice, At Dawn They Sleep or Live Undead and not see that it rules.

I don't see how anyone can listen to South of heaven and not be annoyed at the laughable vocals and pitiful attempt to create a brooding atmosphere. It also comes off as if they are trying to hold back on that album which adds to the awkwardness of it.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I don't care enough about South of Heaven or Seasons in the Abyss for that matter to really argue their case. I think they're both good albums, but I pretty much never want to listen to either.

Well I'm listening to Hell awaits since you mentioned it and to be fair I haven't listened to it in a while so gonna see how it holds up for me.

Reactions: Phylactery
I don't see how anyone can listen to South of heaven and not be annoyed at the laughable vocals and pitiful attempt to create a brooding atmosphere. It also comes off as if they are trying to hold back on that album which adds to the awkwardness of it.

It's like you've listened to a completely different album to me. You need to stop searching around for obscure demos and go back and listen to the greats until you fully appreciate just why they're so good. I remember you saying that you thought Altars of Madness was overrated, too, so I suggest you also stick that on repeat when you've finished with Slayer. Any other legendary bands you think are overrated?

It's like you've listened to a completely different album to me. You need to stop searching around for obscure demos and go back and listen to the greats until you fully appreciate just why they're so good. I remember you saying that you thought Altars of Madness was overrated, too, so I suggest you also stick that on repeat when you've finished with Slayer. Any other legendary bands you think are overrated?

Dude I've listened to South of heaven plenty of times and I was listening to Altars of madness a small while ago and my opinion of it has improved but I can't say I think it's the best death metal album ever by any means.

I don't like Pantera. I don't like Guns n roses either.

Reactions: CiG
I don't like Pantera. I don't like Guns n roses either.

No disagreement on either of those. I like Appetite for Destruction, but I get that taste is a factor there. Slayer are so central to what death and thrash became, though, that taste doesn't even come into it.

I'm listening to South of Heaven again right now and Araya's vocals sound epic. I know what you mean by the sound of the album being more restrained, but I don't see that as a drawback - it lends clarity.

No disagreement on either of those. I like Appetite for Destruction, but I get that taste is a factor there. Slayer are so central to what death and thrash became, though, that taste doesn't even come into it.

I'm listening to South of Heaven again right now and Araya's vocals sound epic. I know what you mean by the sound of the album being more restrained, but I don't see that as a drawback - it lends clarity.
My issue isn't that it's not brutal but it sounds like they're purposefully holding back and it doesn't feel natural. Listen to Behind the crooked cross for embarrassing vocals. Overall it just comes off as watered down to me. I'll go with Show no mercy as their best for me.

I do prefer South of heaven over the abomination that is And justice for all though.

My issue isn't that it's not brutal but it sounds like they're purposefully holding back and it doesn't feel natural. Listen to Behind the crooked cross for embarrassing vocals. Overall it just comes off as watered down to me. I'll go with Show no mercy as their best for me.

I do prefer South of heaven over the abomination that is And justice for all though.

The vocals on that song sound a little distant maybe, but that's about the only criticism I could make. The intro gives me an instant erection, and each riff is as good as the last with none overstaying their welcome. Tbh I think you're judging too much based on the sound of the album, and not enough on composition.

And Justice for All is okay IMO, I neither love it nor loathe it. It's also head and shoulders above every album that followed.

The vocals on that song sound a little distant maybe, but that's about the only criticism I could make. The intro gives me an instant erection, and each riff is as good as the last with none overstaying their welcome. Tbh I think you're judging too much based on the sound of the album, and not enough on composition.

And Justice for All is okay IMO, I neither love it nor loathe it. It's also head and shoulders above every album that followed.

Maybe I just don't like it? I don't find the compositions themselves very interesting. It's just not an enjoyable album for me sorry.

Don't worry. I have faith that in time you will bore of your demo hunting and return to the source.

Or maybe I'll just go back to other types of music I like better such as Krautrock and Industrial. Really though not every tharsh album I listen to is some obscure demo so I don't get why you seem to think that. I just like discovering new music and it's nice to know there are still plenty of hidden gems for me to discover.

Or maybe I'll just go back to other types of music I like better such as Krautrock and Industrial. Really though not every tharsh album I listen to is some obscure demo so I don't get why you seem to think that. I just like discovering new music and it's nice to know there are still plenty of hidden gems for me to discover.

Well this started with us discussing your intention to post your top 20 DM albums, so I guess I'll judge when you post that. If I don't see at least one Morbid Angel album in there I'm going to be mad tho.

Reactions: Phylactery
Are you going to post this death metal list? I'd be interested to see it.

If I make It I will but it's going to take some time to make. If you have any recs I'll look into them if you post em. The thing with Death metal though is that while I like a lot of it I do find it to be the one where I get bored most easily if an album isn't above average.

Actually I might should start off with a thrash metal list since I could come up with that a lot quicker.

What are your favorite thrash demos, MrTagoMago? I can understand not liking Slayer but liking certain thrash demos if the styles are different, it just becomes silly when they praise stuff obviously indebted to Slayer but not Slayer themselves. I mean, I liked demo thrash before I really appreciated Slayer, but I mostly liked the bands that didn't sound anything like Slayer, usually obscure Watchtower or Mekong Delta-influenced bands.