Controversial opinions on metal

I like the first three Oingo Boingo albums more than Remain in Light, even though I acknowledge that the latter is the patrish preference for people of superior taste.

I don't, but it's also objective fact that most of those bands managed maybe one lauded album cited as a pioneering work and then either broke up or released a lot of uninspired redundant shit.

It depends on how broadly you define punk. If you include everything that ultimately derived from post-punk and all the weird divergent experimental stuff I think you could argue that it has more variety than prog rock and metal.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I've brought up that stuff to other punk fans I've met before and they said that it "tarnishes the spirit of the music". :bah: That's why I defined it the way I did.

Death/thrash to be specific, but if you want to give it one label I think it would be more appropriate to call it death metal and not thrash metal.

I knew it was a hybrid of death metal and thrash metal but from what I recall there has been debate over whether or not it should be seen as a real death metal album kinda like how Venom is often considered the first black metal band but there music is really more nwobhm than real black metal.

I knew it was a hybrid of death metal and thrash metal but from what I recall there has been debate over whether or not it should be seen as a real death metal album kinda like how Venom is often considered the first black metal band but there music is really more nwobhm than real black metal.

On the subject of Venom, I really do think they lean more towards NWOBHM than black metal. If any band laid the foundation for black metal, it was Celtic Frost.

kinda like how Venom is often considered the first black metal band but there music is really more nwobhm than real black metal.

You might regret opening this can of worms, it could start a multipage debate on the matter.

Iirc I've seen interviews and magazine extracts from the early 80s that refer to Venom as a black metal band. I'm not a fan of the idea of retroactively changing the genre of a band because 10 years later the Norwegians came along (among others of course) and changed the definition of the genre. That doesn't make sense to me.

Due to this, I personally like the idea of "first wave black metal" and "second wave black metal".

I think most nowadays agree on Venom but Why Celtics Frost instead of Bathory?

Hmm...I suppose that with albums like The Return, Bathory would have been the beginning of black metal as we know it. The reason I said Celtic Frost was due to how much they influenced bands like Darkthrone but that could be contested against.

Phylactery, I like the idea as well. Scandinavian bands really redefined the genre in the '90's compared to their '80's counterparts.

Hellhammer sounds plenty like black metal to me. I can't see anyone not hearing that, even if you think Venom isn't truly a black metal band. I think they're a black metal band though in case anyone wonders.

Reactions: CiG
Would it be controversial here to say I think Remain in light is the greatest album of the 80s?

to me yeah, the B-side is barely even good IMO (i don't even like 'once in a lifetime' particularly, my fav on that side is probably 'listening wind' and even that's only an 7.5 or 8/10 at best). A-side is one of the greatest sides ever though.