Controversial opinions on metal

Mekong Delta has been on my radar for years. I should probably buy some of their stuff soon. Is this a good starting point?

A lot of people seem to put it at the bottom of their first four, so probably not. If you do, note that they also have a 2CD compilation album confusingly with the same title, so be careful there. Most people start with The Music of Erich Zann, which is the album that took the longest to click for me, so I dunno.

Dimension Hatröss I don't think I would count as thrash but maybe I'm wrong, but you're absolutely right about the demo and Killing Technology especially. That's an amazing thrash metal record. I also love their first two.

I used to not consider Deminsion Hatross thrash but I gave it a thorough listen once and I think it's actually is very much thrash but the way they made it it just doesn't sound like one at all.

A lot of people seem to put it at the bottom of their first four, so probably not. If you do, note that they also have a 2CD compilation album confusingly with the same title, so be careful there. Most people start with The Music of Erich Zann, which is the album that took the longest to click for me, so I dunno.

Again I'd say the first one is probably the best place to start. It just seems like the easiest one to click. Erich Zann also had to grow on me though it became a favorite.

Id say listen to there albums in order of release personally speaking.

This is what I did. Worked well enough for me, but the very rough production values on the first album (especially the fastest tracks) could be a turn-off for some. All of their albums have quirks that make them unapproachable on first listen imo. Listening to their version of The Hut of Baba Yaga was instant love though.

I'll listen to a few songs on YouTube from different albums and go from there. That should help me get a feel for the differing production and style on them from the sound of what's been said here.

This is what I did. Worked well enough for me, but the very rough production values on the first album (especially the fastest tracks) could be a turn-off for some. All of their albums have quirks that make them unapproachable on first listen imo. Listening to their version of The Hut of Baba Yaga was instant love though.

Mekong Delta is a lot like Voivod in that they really just have their own unique and quirky thing going that everyone's just not going to get.

I'll listen to a few songs on YouTube from different albums and go from there. That should help me get a feel for the differing production and style on them from the sound of what's been said here.

That's fair but it should be said some of their albums are much more made to be listened to from beginning to end rather than just select tracks especially Zann. Still I think that'd help you see if your interested.

Yeah I have watched a few videos of Gentle Giant the last month and am familiar with Van Der Graaf Generator (ish ). Thinking about it, I dont really know much about them, apart from a few songs.

Yeah I have watched a few videos of Gentle Giant the last month and am familiar with Van Der Graaf Generator (ish ). Thinking about it, I dont really know much about them, apart from a few songs.

Both are really good. More underrated prog bands. Gentle Giant was very consistent those first 7 albums.

Each member of Gentle giant, if I remember correctly, played multi-instruments. They also were quirky, with barber shop quintet parts in songs and flutes. I thought the lead singer was an unlikely looking one, however he was very capable. I remember hearing about them back in the day and many prog rock fans speak highly of them.

Each member of Gentle giant, if I remember correctly, played multi-instruments. They also were quirky, with barber shop quintet parts in songs and flutes. I thought the lead singer was an unlikely looking one, however he was very capable. I remember hearing about them back in the day and many prog rock fans speak highly of them.

Yeah talented bunch who can play multiple instruments and known for being more complex than most prog bands at the time.

Yep, when you get bands such as that, that have no musical boundaries, that is where creativity is very productive. Also it makes for honest music, they dont chase money so much, just musical invention.

Yep, when you get bands such as that, that have no musical boundaries, that is where creativity is very productive. Also it makes for honest music, they dont chase money so much, just musical invention.

That's why I love the krautrock scene so much.

This place dies at the weirdest times.

This thread had little activity until you joined, from since I've been here anyway. You're keeping it alive!

But yeah, this forum doesn't have that many posters and moves slowly at times. That was the reason I joined, though. I prefer a smallish group of posters that I can get to know. I've enjoyed my time here so far and I like all of the posters that frequent the board.

This thread had little activity until you joined, from since I've been here anyway. You're keeping it alive!

But yeah, this forum doesn't have that many posters and moves slowly at times. That was the reason I joined, though. I prefer a smallish group of posters that I can get to know. I've enjoyed my time here so far and I like all of the posters that frequent the board.

I have a hard time generally remembering who is who and who said what lol. I can get frustrated but I'm not the type who really takes anything personally and holds a grudge. It is upsetting though to be told to continue listening to a band or album I don't like until I eventually get it what makes it so great.