Controversial opinions on metal

The fact that you don't like the first 2 Morbid Angel albums is what's silly.

Have you listened to Abominations of Desolation? That might be more to your liking.

Bolt Thrower is obviously consistently better than Morbid Angel, but I'd put Blessed are the Sick above the best Bolt Thrower (Realm of Chaos). They're both top tier death metal records to me so it's just spitting hairs at this point.

Bolt Thrower is obviously consistently better than Morbid Angel, but I'd put Blessed are the Sick above the best Bolt Thrower (Realm of Chaos). They're both top tier death metal records to me so it's just spitting hairs at this point.

Can you tell me what you think males Altars of madness such a masterpiece?

Nostalgia might play a part in this as it was the first death metal album I bought. However, I think everything about it screams timeless classic. From Vincent's ghastly incantations to Trey's twisted and demented riffing and Pete Sandoval's punishing blasts which are some of the most tasteful I've heard to this day. It also has an ancient aesthetic to it that I really love and a very fitting production job. Then there's the songs themselves which are all fantastic, full of devastating rhythms and flesh cutting melodic riffs - when I consider "Blasphemy" to be the worst track then you know you've got a good thing.

It's also insanely fucking memorable. Lines such as:

"Souls are being raped by the maze, lost in these halls endlessly!"
"Ride the wings of death!"
"Ia iak sakkakh iak sakkakth, Ia shaxul, Ia kingu ia cthulu ia azbul, Ia azabua"
"Dead your God is dead, fools your God is dead, useless prayers of lies behold Satan's rise"
"God of lies and greed, God of hypocrisy we laugh at your bastard child, no God shall come before me!"

Are forever burned into my memory. They're also delivered with such conviction and venom that even if they sound childish out of context, they come across as sincere and like they really believed in what they were singing.

The only criticism I can come up with for the album is that it feels like a bit of a collection of songs (albeit really fucking good songs) rather than a cohesive album. Which is why I favour Blessed are the Sick. If I'm looking for an all out assault on the sense I'll reach for Altars, though.

"Immortal Rites", "Maze of Torment", "Lord of All Fevers and Plague" and "Chapel of Ghouls" are easily some of the best death metal tracks ever. And the rest are almost as good.

Last edited:
I really wish I had good writing skills so I could review things that comfortably.

Haha thanks I guess, but I feel I'm really mediocre at writing about music. I think that if I spent a good amount of time on a proper review than I could do a decent job, but I've never really tried. I always give up after a line or two.

you should work on acquiring good listening skills first

BOOM

Fock m8 u burned me!

Haha thanks I guess, but I feel I'm really mediocre at writing about music. I think that if I spent a good amount of time on a proper review than I could do a decent job, but I've never really tried. I always give up after a line or two.

I just get sorta jealous because I always kinda wanted to be able to right reviews but I struggle just to word my feelings without coming off confusing or misleading. I can't believe my Nothingface review was accepted into the Metal archives.