Controversial opinions on metal

I'm really curious as to why Gojira's albums are rated so low on metal-archives, is that website just so trve kvlt they can't see the beauty of Gojira because they're not a death metal band with 500 views on YouTube? I'd like to hear your guys views on Gojira, I absolutely love them and I'd like to hear if you don't like them, why you don't. Going through the reviews it seems most reviewers agree with me and then some rate it so low I can't take them seriously, 25% rating for a Gojira album, really?

Listening to the title track of the album you mentioned. It's really bad, the vocals are really crappy hardcore shouts, the drumming is cleansed of all life, the production is horrible. This song totally sucks to me.

Reactions: Krow
This sounds a lot better than that, even so it's pretty crummy in my opinion. It sounds like it took the basic ideas of early metalcore and fused it with boring, overly clinical technical death metal.

The beauty of Gojira is definitely in their live performance. The tone is so much better, with some really good rhythmic feel in addition to the screeches and vibrations from the guitars that just sound amazing (none of the album productions have taken advantage of their godly live tone). Even the new material sounds pretty good live, but on album it is boring as fuck.

As for the albums, the main problem is that their songwriting skills are really lacking. Most of their albums are littered with tracks that are somewhat sub-par filler, and even at best their songs seem to either over-present ideas (making them repetitive or even boring at times) or just tie together ideas in a clunky way and fail to follow them to completion. CIG basically cherry picked my favorite song of theirs, and it still suffers from this same criticism.

Yeah what is the appeal with this band? l can appreciate the tone and production but...they're like a hybrid of most things l don't enjoy about extreme metal. Not a fan. Saying that maybe their early output is better?

I think they're just shit tbh.

I once knew someone whose favourite metal album of all time was Slaughter of the Soul and he was also a Gojira fan. That should tell you enough.

I've never seen them live though, so maybe EternalMetal is correct. However, I tend to not really like live music as much as recorded music. I don't get the appeal of live albums, and yes that includes Unleashed in the East.