Controversial opinions on metal

It was a weird comparison, I agree. As pretentious as Crimsonflloyd comes across, I don't think you can argue that SMRC is more ambitious and has more depth than Venom. Obviously it's up to the listener to decide if they achieved that ambition or not.

Could you explain what you like about Fas...I listened to it a few times when it first came out and couldn't get into at all. It put me off checking out Paracletus.

Their songwriting improved for one. SMRC is a bit longwinded, but I feel like they condensed things in Fas to be much more manageable to digest, yet still effectively building. Their complexity in atmosphere is due to their exemplary use of dissonance in a way that they were just starting to experiment on SMRC. Also, this album is haunting as fuck. It can even be uncomfortable to listen to at times (think Immolation, Averse Sephira), but that added dimension adds depth to the songs. Give it more attention, Fas can be a grower due to having to digest that barrage of sound; it really demands your focus.

That said, I wouldnt put off listening to Paracletus. They lose a bit of the insanity that was present on Fas, making it a slightly distilled version of Fas, but on the other hand they are even more focused and mature. Nevertheless it is still as chilling and unsettling as ever. Id rate their albums in the order of Fas >= Paracletus > SMRC >= Inquisitors.

Reactions: Phylactery
Trivium has matured since their metalcore days. this song here has a pretty massive sound

Trivium has matured since their metalcore days. this song here has a pretty massive sound

104b679f9ac62a5809968628e593b7ee.jpg

Reactions: CiG