Controversial opinions on metal

93-96 was the best stretch in metal history. I don't see depth in the 80s. A handful of killer albums per year, but not the bredth and depth of the early-mid 90s.
I agree on the time period (I'd actually stretch it to include all of the 90s) but I can't agree the 80s lacked depth. The 80s ruled as well.

Meh. There are a few years like 88, but mostly I'm not seeing it. I'm sure there are some gems I'm just not familiar with, but it's nowhere near what the early-mid 90s were. In the 90s you have black, death, doom, power, and prog all peaking. There's just an abundance of great and innovative stuff coming out.

Black metal definitely as well. Hate to say it but second wave >>>>>>> first wave. As much as I still enjoy first wave, and as much as they are different entities entirely.

Doom metal arguably could be said to have peaked in the 90's. Revelation, Scald, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice, Iron Man...

Though I think it's just more a case of doom metal being very very consistent.

Revelation and Solstice over Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, and Saint Vitus?

I think all of those bands have releases of similar, even though Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is better than any of the other albums by those other bands.

Iron Man is an exception as I don't have any of their music and can't judge them.

Nope, considering doom Solstice destroys Demolition Hammer, I don't see how a second-rate Demolition Hammer band could be as good as doom Solstice.

Revelation and Solstice over Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, and Saint Vitus?

Ooh hard one. If I'm being totally honest:

Revelation > Saint Vitus > Trouble > Candlemass > Solstice > Pentagram

Bear in mind these are literally some of my all time favourite bands, ever.

Reactions: Phylactery