Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial opinion that I've been wanting to get off of my chest for a long time: there is virtually zero death metal in Demolition Hammer's sound, and the vast majority of their riffs are indistinguishable from the kinds you can find all over Exodus' Fabulous Disaster. While I acknowledge their heaviness, it came mostly from sheer intensity and machismo rather than any kind of envelope-pushing extremity that many like to ascribe to them. Tortured Existence is still a great album though, in spite of the absolutely shit production job.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Ooh hard one. If I'm being totally honest:

Revelation > Saint Vitus > Trouble > Candlemass > Solstice > Pentagram

Bear in mind these are literally some of my all time favourite bands, ever.

Yeah this is tough, but I'd probably go:

Candlemass > Saint Vitus = Solstice > Trouble > Pentagram > Revelation

Also, I love the 80s but I'm a 90s whore at heart.

Reactions: CiG
Speaking of Candlemass, when the hell are they gonna get Messiah Marcolin back? I haven't seen a Candlemass show with him in years, and it kind of annoys me, given he was their best singer and frontman by far.

That's okay. It's already pretty much confirmed that you're bad at listening to singers since you tried to say that Chuck Schuldiner sang "Painkiller" better than Rob Halford.

That's okay. It's already pretty much confirmed that you're bad at listening to singers since you tried to say that Chuck Schuldiner sang "Painkiller" better than Rob Halford.
Oh cut the crap, cumbucket. I relistened to the title track of Painkiller, something I hadn't done in ages, (probably nearly 4 years actually), and realigned my assessment afterwards at your behest.

Doom metal arguably could be said to have peaked in the 90's. Revelation, Scald, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice, Iron Man...

Though I think it's just more a case of doom metal being very very consistent.

Doom is a difficult sub-genre to evaluate because more so than other sub-genres, it lacks cohesion. I'm not super interested in traditional doom, but more doom/death, gothic doom, funeral doom, etc. So when I say the 90s were the best, that's the sort of stuff I have in mind. I don't have a position on what was the best era for more traditional doom.

did you buy a revelation off of me? send that shit back, you are unworthy!

Better watch out, he'll start replying to everything you post with some half assed attempt at trolling you.

My bad for leaving you hanging so long on that second chance offer for the Mourn album btw, had to see if I won any more of your stuff first.

Reactions: The Butt