Controversial opinions on metal

Probably not so controversial but:
everytime i read about Cobalt it's just someone heaping praise. Am I the only one bored as shit listening to them? It's the same chord slides and cliche flourish on top of every riff, songs and albums are way too long for their own good, and then when they start doing clean chord progression shit to top it all off they get even more boring somehow. I really don't know what people think is so great about them. They would probably be decent if the guitarist jerkd off the Jerry Cantrell a little bit less, scrapped the emo clean parts, and wrote albums half as long, but i don't if even that would save the predictability of a lot the riffs for me.

Who knows, maybe I am the only one. After all I'm in the minority of people who didn't find the newest Bolzer boring so the same shit could be tossed right back at me.

Someone posted a Cobalt song in one of the non-metal song rating games, and your opinion on the band pretty much is my opinion at least on the one song I heard. They've been falling out with the in-crowd in general it seems.

Cobalt looked like some serious hipster bullshit when I looked them up on Metal Archives. It was confirmed when I listened to some of their stuff just now.

Looking hipster doesnt even matter. If Nattens Madrigal or Beyond the Wanderin Moon were written by pencil jean dudes with undercuts and blondie shirts I'd still rock that shite at 11. I think generally 'hipster' looking people tend (in metal at least) to, unfortunately, make lackluster and hipsterishly pretentious music. And i don't give a fuck how people dress so long as they make good music, but for what it is generally "hipsterish" black metal, for example, is for the most part pretty terrible and flat out boring. And cobalt are actually at least somewhat original if in that club, which is saying something. Ofc, who fucking really knows what 'hipster' means and is in any case, because it tends to be a label thrown around with some degree of ambiguity, including myself for sure

Eater of Birds has some of my favorite percussion in metal.

Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun probably has my favourite drumming in metal. It does have a lot of blasting but there's plenty of variation in it. I also find myself remembering a lot of the drum patterns more than with most other albums and it manages to add a driving, violent force to the album without sacrificing its melancholic atmosphere.

Regarding The Chasm - there aren't many death metal bands that have 7 worthwhile full length albums. At their peak, Deathcult..., Procession... and parts of Conjuration... they're almost untouchable for me. I find them to be far more melodically interesting than most DM bands and a lot of their songs are emotionally charged. They're definitely amongst the most accomplished songwriters in metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
Looking hipster doesnt even matter. If Nattens Madrigal or Beyond the Wanderin Moon were written by pencil jean dudes with undercuts and blondie shirts I'd still rock that shite at 11. I think generally 'hipster' looking people tend (in metal at least) to, unfortunately, make lackluster and hipsterishly pretentious music. And i don't give a fuck how people dress so long as they make good music, but for what it is generally "hipsterish" black metal, for example, is for the most part pretty terrible and flat out boring. And cobalt are actually at least somewhat original if in that club, which is saying something. Ofc, who fucking really knows what 'hipster' means and is in any case, because it tends to be a label thrown around with some degree of ambiguity, including myself for sure

I'm not talking about the appearance of band members. I'm talking about the album covers, album and song titles, lyrics and the descriptions of their music in reviews on the website. Don't jump to conclusions.

As I stated earlier, listenining to some of their music confirmed it for me.

I thought of a good controversial opinion.

People who hate on Manowar and praise Jag Panzer's early music are posers. Jag Panzer has all of the musical traits that people who think Manowar is gay complain about and the influence of Manowar on their music is obvious.

The Tyrant demos from before Manowar released Battle Hymns in 1982 sound much less like Manowar than anything Jag Panzer made from 1983 onwards. Even Harry Conklin's singing is much less similar to Eric Adams on those recordings.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft

People who hate on Manowar and praise Jag Panzer's early music are posers. Jag Panzer has all of the musical traits that people who think Manowar is gay complain about and the influence of Manowar on their music is obvious.

The Tyrant demos from before Manowar released Battle Hymns in 1982 sound much less like Manowar than anything Jag Panzer made from 1983 onwards. Even Harry Conklin's singing is much less similar to Eric Adams on those recordings.

Thane to the Throne is the Jag Panzer that I like. not their early material. It plays more like a prog concept album than power metal.

What specific songs on Ample Destruction do you think sound like Battle Hymns (or Into Glory Ride I suppose)? Aside from both being early trad metal I don't hear much in common between the two.

What specific songs on Ample Destruction do you think sound like Battle Hymns (or Into Glory Ride I suppose)? Aside from both being early trad metal I don't hear much in common between the two.

It's not as much that they sound exactly like Manowar as it is that they are definitely influenced by them and have all of the elements that people say make Manowar gay. I especially don't get how Eric Adams sounds super gay by some people's standards but Harry Conklin can get a free pass even though he is so similar and clearly influenced by Adams.

They also have a whole bunch of catchy songs on Tyrants and Ample Destruction that are lyrically similar to the heavily derided Manowar anthems.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
He sounds more like Bruce Dickinson than Eric Adams.

You're still going to have to give specific examples.