Controversial opinions on metal

Well they put out like 5 albums in just 5 or 6 years at one point. I listened to songs covering this period, from I think Memory and Destiny to Spears of Heaven, and heard a lot of filler scattered throughout. I've never been a fanboy though...casual appreciator/general fan is more accurate. I enjoy the music but surely it doesn't live up to the band's golden reputation?

Last edited:
Well they put out like 5 albums in almost 5 or 6 years at one point. I listened to songs covering this period, from I think Memory and Destiny to Spears of Heaven, and heard a lot of filler scattered throughout. I've never been a fanboy though...casual appreciator/general fan is more accurate. I enjoy the music but surely the band isn't as great as everyone believes?

He ran out of ideas after Memory and Destiny and has fallen into a loop of redundancy. His newer stuff is good, but its certainly nothing special or original, save the addition of the choirs. You basically know what you're gonna get with every single album.

Oh sorry, I missed that you had included Non Serviam. Great album. What about Necromantia, Zemial, Nocternity, Kawir, Legion of Doom, Macabre Omen etc?

I really like FtVoB as well, I just think TS is even better.

I haven't heard Nocternity or Kawir. As for the others, I would describe them all as good bands. However, I haven't heard a truly great album from any of them.

I haven't heard Nocternity or Kawir. As for the others, I would describe them all as good bands. However, I haven't heard a truly great album from any of them.

From Those I'd say Necromantia and Nocternity are the top tier. The other bands, I see a lot of hype but they dont deliver hard enough for me.

Both Carpathian Wolves and The Celtic Winter > Thousand Swords but they all rules.

Graveland is probably the most consistant band in existence. No bad release in the whole career and most are not just good but really great!

About the greek bm list: I think Necromantia is an obvious inclusion in an top 100 bm list and I would personally probably include Zemial too but I can see why they aren't. The other bands suggested are abit lower tier.

Reactions: CiG
coming to the conclusion that Graveland is "overrated" after listening to songs "from I think Memory and Destiny to Spears of Heaven" in the span of an hour (what, like 4 songs?) is like listening to only Darkthrone's blackcrust era and judging the band solely on those specific albums. it's borderline retarded.

Memory and Destiny and Fire Chariot of Destruction are the best from that era. Spears of Heaven is the nadir of the band. FtVoB is his magnum opus.

I never cared for Kawir until I heard Isotheos. Stellar album.

Never cared for Deafheaven or their ilk. Then again, I dont care for coffee shops, art houses, Hillary Clinton, or liberal and hipster ideologies. The music sucks too

This is an excerpt from a MA review of Sunbather that essentially sums up why I don't like it.

"Right from the off, the listener is treated to major-scale post-rock strumming which is joined shortly after by blast beats, all of which are played at a high tempo and at a VERY loud volume. The vocals then come in, being a sort of screech buried behind the wall of noise that is the instruments. This continues for about 5 minutes, and then it all goes quiet for about 30 seconds whilst an acoustic guitar line is played. The band then comes crashing back into the music, playing at a much slower tempo than before, and continuing this way right till the end of the track."

This is an excerpt from a MA review of Sunbather that essentially sums up why I don't like it.

"Right from the off, the listener is treated to major-scale post-rock strumming which is joined shortly after by blast beats, all of which are played at a high tempo and at a VERY loud volume. The vocals then come in, being a sort of screech buried behind the wall of noise that is the instruments. This continues for about 5 minutes, and then it all goes quiet for about 30 seconds whilst an acoustic guitar line is played. The band then comes crashing back into the music, playing at a much slower tempo than before, and continuing this way right till the end of the track."

:lol: What a terribly vague and poorly articulated critique. Tons of black metal bands have long songs with only two or three passages. Burzum made its fucking legacy doing that. That, in fact, is one of the reasons that black metal and post rock are so compatible: both genres contain compositional templates that rely on the rely on repetition and/or gradual development.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
coming to the conclusion that Graveland is "overrated" after listening to songs "from I think Memory and Destiny to Spears of Heaven" in the span of an hour (what, like 4 songs?) is like listening to only Darkthrone's blackcrust era and judging the band solely on those specific albums. it's borderline retarded.

Not really, considering that those records cover 50% of their entire career and are loaded with filler, as stated. That means that half their career is littered with take it or leave it material. Makes them over rated if u ask me.

i have trouble believing you listened to half of graveland's discography in an hour. do we need to have a discussion about how time works?

also, do you think slayer and metallica are overrated? just checking if you're consistent with this weird logic

Reactions: CiG
the logic isn't weird at all. i listened to songs i was familiar with, but hadn't heard in a long time. these songs were scattered throughout the albums I mentioned. The albums I mentioned make up 50% of the band's career and are replete with filler. As stated by others, the band's early 90's material is easily the best output they ever had, but makes up less than half of their career. Everyone always gushes over Graveland (not "early Graveland") but from what I just articulated, it's clear they're over rated.

Slayer is over rated and so is Metallica although each has some amazing songs and albums for sure. Why did you ask about those two bands, dude?

And before you ask a band that isn't over rated would have to be a band that has every album, or the vast majority of their albums, stellar and elite, such as Nokturnal Mortum, Sulphur Aeon, Nevermore, Bloodbath, Enslaved etc.