Controversial opinions on metal

Because over 50% of their material is terrible. So if you're calling Graveland overrated for that reason, it makes sense for Metallica and Slayer too.

:lol: What a terribly vague and poorly articulated critique. Tons of black metal bands have long songs with only two or three passages. Burzum made its fucking legacy doing that. That, in fact, is one of the reasons that black metal and post rock are so compatible: both genres contain compositional templates that rely on the rely on repetition and/or gradual development.

Yeah that was a pretty vague critique. There's plenty out there that details exactly why Deafheaven is the nadir of black metal (if you can even call it that). In my view, it's crap because it takes the most generic tremolo melodies imaginable, pastes blast beats over them and inserts random acoustic noodling in between. Just like most other "post-black metal". It's also disjointed and has incredibly grating vocals. Burzum certainly didn't write songs like this.

The fact that HamburgerBoy jumps to their defence (despite him probably not even liking them) shows just how terrible they actually are. He likes to latch on to these maligned bands and spout shit about how "at least they have more riffs than *insert good band*".

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Yeah that was a pretty vague critique. There's plenty out there that details exactly why Deafheaven is the nadir of black metal (if you can even call it that). In my view, it's crap because it takes the most generic tremolo melodies imaginable, pastes blast beats over them and inserts random acoustic noodling in between. Just like most other "post-black metal". It's also disjointed and has incredibly grating vocals. Burzum certainly didn't write songs like this.

The fact that HamburgerBoy jumps to their defence (despite him probably not even liking them) shows just how terrible they actually are. He likes to latch on to these maligned bands and spout shit about how "at least they have more riffs than *insert good band*".

Give specific examples of how they're generic and other bands that were doing it first.

Sunbather is a pleasant album, I don't go out of my way to listen to it, but it sounds nice and the songwriting doesn't feel nearly as repetitious or simple as many acclaimed black metal albums.

poor Hamburger Boy. Always getting picked on. Hamburger Boy can you please put a long time mystery of mine to rest and tell me the origins of your user name?

14.jpg

Reactions: zerostatic
The logic isn't weird at all. i listened to songs i was familiar with, but hadn't heard in a long time. these songs were scattered throughout the albums I mentioned. The albums I mentioned make up 50% of the band's career and are replete with filler. As stated by others, the band's early 90's material is easily the best output they ever had, but makes up less than half of their career. Everyone always gushes over Graveland (not "early Graveland") but from what I just articulated, it's clear they're over rated.

And you did this all in an hour? Woah what is your secret, I want what he's got, I'll have what she's having, I'll buy that for a dollar etc etc etc.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Yeah M&D to SoH is not even close to 50% of the bands discog. Maybe 30%. And listening scattered parts of the albums and concluding they are filled with filler? Kind of loose points.
Graveland has their thing going though so if you want to be suprised with each album, they aren't for you (atleast not anymore).

I would suck Darkens cock if I could though so I'm probably not the right person to listen to...

And you did this all in an hour? Woah what is your secret, I want what he's got, I'll have what she's having, I'll buy that for a dollar etc etc etc.

Yea, it's kinda hard to explain so try and stick with me here, but see on these digital media players we all use there's this cool button I found to fast forward, rewind, start and stop. It really helps you control time when you need to!

Yea, it's kinda hard to explain so try and stick with me here, but see on these digital media players we all use there's this cool button I found to fast forward, rewind, start and stop. It really helps you control time when you need to!

It also really helps to absolutely ruin any credibility your opinion might have on the quality of an album or discography.

What's next, going to opine on a fucking movie after you fast-forwarded through 84 minutes of it?