Controversial opinions on metal

Can you give examples of flowery power metal that you think is good?

Also, I thought that spamming black and death metal songs in the Mixtape game would shove those genres up in your estimation. Clearly I've failed.

Can you give examples of flowery power metal that you think is good?

You'll regret asking.

Also, I thought that spamming black and death metal songs in the Mixtape game would shove those genres up in your estimation. Clearly I've failed.

You have shown me some good stuff within those genres but I am not going to rank them above my favorite subgenres.

I thought you'd post Lost Horizon and Blind Guardian! I've not heard the rest apart from Stratovarius and Dragonforce which I thought were crap last time I listened to them. I'll listen to the ones I haven't heard, thanks!

Stratovarius and Dragonforce are crap on the whole but in both cases some of their early material is good. Early Stratovarius has a melancholy and gravitas that is uncharacteristic for flower metal. Dragonforce is and always was total cheese but their first two albums were solid and that particular song I posted is godly.

Reactions: CiG
While not my favorite power metal band, Stratovarius has consistently put out solid albums over their career. Last year's was good, but not great, but the one before that, Nemesis, is fucking awesome. So many good songs. And the early material is indeed quite strong as well.

Saying that a band does something that not a lot of other bands do doesn't mean that you feel that they're really original. I like the band and feel that they aren't really original on the whole, but I also can't think of any other bands that sound quite like them that weren't formed after them. There have been a few since then.

They're the only black/thrash band I know that add some epic elements to their music, but sure they're not very original.

I personally prefer G.O.T.H. anyway.

Don't think I could agree with that. I like Gospel but at their best they can't touch D666.

As far as adding a bit of epic to their black/thrash, have you checked out the latest Desaster? Haven't heard it for a bit but I remember it having a fairly epic sound.

Reactions: CiG
Most Deströyer 666 fans (including me) probably feel that it's their worst album, so I would say so. The production on the album is very offputting and a lot of the songs aren't on par with the other albums.

Edited for terrible phone typing errors.

Last edited: