Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial Opinion:

Just one Darkthrone album is enough to quench my thirst for black metal for at least a month.

I know that feeling bro. Although when I'm in a black metal mood I can usually last about three albums in a sitting, then I'm good for the rest of the month.

Yeah, I know that feeling as well. Thing is that there are a few that definitely break the mold for me. Storm of the Light's Bane is a good example of that.

Last edited:
That's an asinine opinion, considering black metal has more than one sound.

In a single sitting I might listen to A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Drawing Down The Moon, Tol Cormpt Norz Norz Norz and Fallen Angel of Doom without once feeling bored even though definitionally I've spent a few hours listening to black metal.

I find that with black metal, it's landmark albums satisfy me more than landmark death metal albums tend to do, but it's a wildly inconsistent subgenre. Death metal is much more consistent no matter what kind of death metal you prefer, there's so much to listen to and appreciate.

Death metal definitely has a more consistent sound to it than black metal. Although obviously there are still varied styles of death metal.

I don't see black metal as being the subgenre with the largest amount of crap in it because I've barely investigated all the bedroom black metal that most people consider so abhorrent.

When power metal does catch fire, it tends to have great musicianship. Much better than black metal does.

I take the main subgenres of metal to be: traditional, thrash, doom, death, black and power, with obvious crossovers acknowledged.

Of these subgenres, thrash metal is the weakest. While the great stuff IS great, very few of the second tier bands offer much of interest and the genre has been a virtual graveyard for decades.

It's the weakest in my opinion as well.

For me:
black > death > doom = trad = power > thrash

Obviously I love them all. And my top 15 - 20 metal albums would have albums from all genres in it I would think! 4 of them are represented in my top 5!

Thrash = death > trad > doom > black > power

Progressive in front of any of those can move them up. I really only listen to the first 3, with some exceptions, there's a handful of black metal bands I really enjoy for example. In doom I mostly like stoner and the rare truly exceptional vocalists in trad doom.