Controversial opinions on metal

Never been a fan of GnR. They've always been a favorite of my moms though and maybe it's some subconscious thing because they've been beat into my head so hard.

Skid Row, glam or not? They are without a doubt a glam band imo. People try to say "but listen to Slave to the Grind, its soo metal" Which i think is a pretty hilarious thing to say ..... I remember there being only one song that can be classified as metal on that album and a bunch of rock ballads.

Skid Row, glam or not? They are without a doubt a glam band imo. People try to say "but listen to Slave to the Grind, its soo metal" Which i think is a pretty hilarious thing to say ..... I remember there being only one song that can be classified as metal on that album and a bunch of rock ballads.

Self-titled and STTG rule regardless of genre classification

... nah, first album sucks hard. Slaves to the Grind has one good song from what i remember. ONE.

I'll throw them out when I get home
giphy.gif

GnR sucks. Absolutely worthless band imo

Skid Row is awesome. Metal or not.

Skid Row is barely ok, first album is better from what I remember, and they went to shit rapidly after the second. Youth Gone Wild is the one with the melodic riff that just sounds copied from some earlier Motley Crue single, right? I forget which Crue song though. Second-rate latecomers.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Skid Row is barely ok, first album is better from what I remember, and they went to shit rapidly after the second. Youth Gone Wild is the one with the melodic riff that just sounds copied from some earlier Motley Crue single, right? I forget which Crue song though. Second-rate latecomers.
Oh they were a total ripoff of Motley Crue and Dr. Feelgood, but they did a good ripoff.

Controversial? Motley Crue's first two albums were not only amongst the best metal albums of all-time, but were truly creative albums that might have heralded a new sound in rock had not they and countless other bands squandered the opportunity.

I don't personally love the early Motley Crue albums, but I do think they're really solid and definitely classics with new ideas at the time. I wouldn't give them too much credit since there were already four Van Halen albums out by the time Too Fast for Love was even recorded, but they definitely helped to define the scene and style.

EDIT: Also, Ratt seems to get a lot of crap, but I just listened to Out of the Cellar recently as was surprised at how good it was from start to finish.

Early Van Halen was def important, but I think that early Crue might MIGHT have been a different voice in metal/rock that might have moved forward. And early Ratt sounds more like a step down from what the Crue were doing at the time. This isn't a particularly hard theory of mine, but just sort of a hypothesis.

Like how so many glam metal bands CLAIMED to be taking up what the New York Dolls were doing in the 70s, while they were just bullshitting, Motley Crue might have been doing for a couple albums.