Controversial opinions on metal

l have a few (several?) glam albums and l admit l like them all. From Japan's Loudness to Scandinavia's (Swedes?) Shotgun Messiah. the main criteria for me tho is the geetar..a good riff is a good riff but it's all about context and glam or DM, like l said, a good riff is a good riff

How about TNT? I love Knights of the New Thunder. Some of their other stuff was pretty cool, as well.

l have a few (several?) glam albums and l admit l like them all. From Japan's Loudness to Scandinavia's (Swedes?) Shotgun Messiah. the main criteria for me tho is the geetar..a good riff is a good riff but it's all about context and glam or DM, like l said, a good riff is a good riff
Loudness has plenty of good albums. Disillusion, Law of Devil's Land, Thunder In the East, Soldier of Fortune, Lightning Strikes, Shadows of War, etc.

Reactions: Atomic Tide
Indeed, killer glam/metal hard rock band. Akira was the Japanese 80's EVH equivalent. Possibly my favourite is Soldier of Fortune but l think l have them all now. Except the first album The Birthday Eve

Loudness has a ton of stuff I haven't heard, but I don't really like anything from their glam period onwards. The earlier stuff is good trad though.

Only Loudness albums I have are Devil Soldier and Birthday Eve. Both are pretty good traditional metal. Didn't even realize they did glam later.

I guess even their glam stuff might be more trad than most, but Lightning Strikes and Hurricane Eyes are pretty glammy/poppy at least iirc.

Regarding Slayer: I'm not taking anything away from Reign in Blood, but after having heard it five million times in nearly two decades I'm getting a little tired of it. But Show No Mercy still fucking slays. And I think it's because I just have a fetish for early 80s speed metal. Anyone else?

Regarding Slayer: I'm not taking anything away from Reign in Blood, but after having heard it five million times in nearly two decades I'm getting a little tired of it. But Show No Mercy still fucking slays. And I think it's because I just have a fetish for early 80s speed metal. Anyone else?
Show No Mercy is a badass debut, no doubt about it.

Show No Mercy is a badass debut, no doubt about it.
I'm coming to the conclusion that raw early/mid-80s heavy metal/power metal/thrash is superior to more well-written late-80s thrash. The energy of the former just keeps me coming back more than the accomplishments of the latter.

the appeal of REIGN IN BLOOD is closer to death metal really. it's coiled and cold and menacing, not the straight up burst of energy and brutality casuals sometimes paint it as.
I think I just prefer that burst of energy. I also prefer that energy of Haunting the Chapel, and the more relatively refined but atmospheric and deranged Hell Awaits.

Honestly I think I'm finally making the decision that I like that style of metal over Reign in Blood, since I've been going back and forth between early and later Slayer for years, and the deciding factor seems to be atmosphere. I love Reign in Blood, but Rick Rubin really did take a lot of the darkness from Slayer with his more sonically powerful production, and Slayer definitely ran with that sound afterward. Even after Reign in Blood, my favorite tracks are the more atmospheric ones, like "Spill the Blood" and "Seasons in the Abyss".