Controversial opinions on metal

cannotunsee6.gif

Spill the Blood is a good closer with decent atmosphere, but their are far superior songs on the album.
I mean there are more badass songs, but the whole point of South of Heaven is being more melodic and atmospheric, and "Spill the Blood" does that. "Seasons in the Abyss" does the same thing better on the next album, taking the next step of Slayer's sound to it's logical end point, but "Spill the Blood" is still the best thing on South of Heaven.

"Seasons in the Abyss" is also a top 5 Slayer song btw.

I mean there are more badass songs, but the whole point of South of Heaven is being more melodic and atmospheric, and "Spill the Blood" does that. "Seasons in the Abyss" does the same thing better on the next album, taking the next step of Slayer's sound to it's logical end point, but "Spill the Blood" is still the best thing on South of Heaven.
The whole album does that, that's what I love about it. Spill the Blood is definitely an odd choice for fave track, but whatever.

The whole album does that, that's what I love about it. Spill the Blood is definitely an odd choice for fave track, but whatever.
Well, there are plenty of amazing songs on South of Heaven, but what that album does different is the melodicism, and while it doesn't really accomplish that task fully, "Spill the Blood" does. Seasons in the Abyss (the album) is basically what South of Heaven should have been.

It wouldn't be as notable if it weren't a cover, but it's still a lot of fun. It also helps that it was one of the first songs I ever heard from Slayer.

It's total garbage and the most offensive thing Slayer has ever done. It's not even heavier than the original.

Reactions: CiG
It's not really the production. The vocals are weak and pathetic, Lombardo isn't shit compared to Simon Phillips, the thrashy riffs don't come across as any more intense while the bluesy riffs sound disgusting with their tuning and guitar tone, and Downing is still the master of whammy-bar abuse. They point out one of their most obvious influences but then fail to show them respect or desire to surpass them. Easily as pathetic as any of Metallica's worst covers in the 90s, total embarrassment to the band. I'd rather listen to Scrum on repeat for an hour than that cover ever again. If you like it more than the original, you should kill yourself.

Wow. There's nothing wrong with a band doing a cover song. It's a chance to pay tribute to their influences and share it with their fans. Everyone starts out playing cover songs to learn their instruments anyway.

I mentioned Metallica's 90s covers because they're usually (and rightfully) regarded as shit.

But yeah, most covers by metal bands seem pointless at best.