Controversial opinions on metal

If I'm somewhere stuck listening to Nirvana,Pearl Jam,etc... modern newer rock music. I'm hoping I can listen to some hair bands. I don't care if the bands are wearing women's panties.

Ripper's newest >> Vektor's last two

Thrash is the vanilla of extreme metal.

Aka the best of the basic flavors that's popular because it's actually good and not vulgar like chocolate ice cream/99% of death metal.

Ripper's newest >> Vektor's last two

itpeFyM.gif

Reactions: Baroque
Vektor is on a path to go full Schuldiner/Steve Harris. Doesn't matter how long your songs are when you recycle the same riffing ideas over and over. Plus, most of their rhythms are boring and probably less technical than stuff Destruction was doing in the mid/later 80s. Vektor's whole gimmick now is in those big shiny chords but they're not interesting enough on their own. They/he usually comes up with a few fresh ideas here and there, but they're so sparse amidst all the bland.

Ripper is concise, brutal, and musically ambitious. No comparison.

Ripper is good but I'm not sure I would even put them in a top 10 modern thrash bands. Maybe top 20. Whereas Vektor has that #1 spot sealed up.

There's no way they're as ambitious as Vektor.

Ripper has a tinge of death in their thrash and all of a sudden they're uber brutal? Brutal =/= good always anyway.

Vektor shot their creative load with Black Future, and iirc there was an early member involved in songwriting that left around the time of that album's release anyways. Now it's obvious that they're a one-man band with a control-freak ego problem, and I expect the decline to only continue. Vektor's entire sound can be largely reduced to just a handful of riffs, a few fancy sounding chords (which they never make any interesting progressions out of, they may as well just be special effects), and a sci-fi gimmick. Their drumming since Black Future has also been bland as fuck.

Ripper isn't uber brutal or anything, but they write interesting songs while keeping intensity and speed at a high level. They're basically the closest thing to reviving the Malleus Maleficarum sound. No bullshit fluff or flowery black metal melodies or anything, just efficient 4 minute bursts of heaviness and good riffs.

Sacral Rage and Deceptor are two more bands that destroy recent Vektor.

Raising the Corpse is all early Kreator. Haven't heard their new one outside of a few tracks, but the chance of that album being better than the last two Vektor albums(especially Outer Isolation) is approximately zero %.

Black Future is without a doubt the best Vektor album though.

It's got maybe a little bit of Extreme Aggression to it (the parts that are actually good), otherwise it doesn't sound much like Kreator. Leave it to you to judge an album you haven't even listened to though, poser.

Efficient 4 minute bursts are a good thing? Do you even prog bro?

Is crossover your favorite genre? because it has efficient 1.5 minute bursts.

Song length isn't prog you pleb. Gentle Giant out-progs Pink Floyd any day, as does Watchtower over Heathen, or Atheist over Edge of Sanity.

Needless repetition is a plague on supposed progressive music.

It's got maybe a little bit of Extreme Aggression to it (the parts that are actually good), otherwise it doesn't sound much like Kreator. Leave it to you to judge an album you haven't even listened to though, poser.

I was clearly talking about the first album(which i own), you fucking idiot.

Raising the Corpse is all early Kreator.

Song length isn't prog you pleb. Gentle Giant out-progs Pink Floyd any day, as does Watchtower over Heathen, or Atheist over Edge of Sanity.

Needless repetition is a plague on supposed progressive music.

long song =/=> repetition

Pink Floyd > Gentle Giant and GG's best songs are longer than 4 mins anyway.

I thought you were the guy promoting Heathen around here. Watchtower is good but none of those are even the best prog metal bands. I don't think of Atheist as prog metal that's for sure.

long song =/=> repetition

Pink Floyd > Gentle Giant and GG's best songs are longer than 4 mins anyway.

I thought you were the guy promoting Heathen around here. Watchtower is good but none of those are even the best prog metal bands. I don't think of Atheist as prog metal that's for sure.

Pink Floyd is trash, and most of the Gentle Giant discography is in the 4-6 minute range (and also very consistent until they sold out). Even their longest songs are generally short by prog rock standards, their longest barely 9 minutes, and only two more 8 minutes. Album length is important too, and most of GG's albums are under 40'.

Heathen helped get me into underground metal but they haven't really held up. Watchtower's albums are visionary genius and blow most prog metal out of the water.