Controversial opinions on metal

she's fucking retarded, and has put up some of the stupidest arguments ive ever heard in my life. Like "Def Leppard are more well known and popular than Metallica" :lol: I mean, how separated from reality do you have to be to even entertain that idea?

Also they were definitely the first band(Death/Mantas), but i wouldn't credit a single band for the invention of the genre.

I respect her, but she once argued against Death inventing death metal, so yeah.
I've never gotten why people say Possessed did it first. Death (and Mantas) started their discography with material more indicative of the genre as we know it but continued to create music that was more recognizably death metal.

Reactions: CiG
she's fucking retarded, and has put up some of the stupidest arguments ive ever heard in my life. Like "Def Leppard are more well known and popular than Metallica" :lol: I mean, how separated from reality do you have to be to even entertain that idea?

Also they were definitely the first band(Death/Mantas), but i wouldn't credit a single band for the invention of the genre.
Well, amongst normies, she might be right. But in terms of even beginner metalheads? Metallica takes precedent in renown without question. I also debated her over her thinking Motorhead didn't invent speed metal. Death set the template in every way imagniable, so I 'd say it's a reasonable claim.

Well, amongst normies, she might be right. But in terms of even beginner metalheads? Metallica takes precedent in renown without question. I also debated her over her thinking Motorhead didn't invent speed metal.

That's not right amongst anyone . Do you think the average person walking down the street today has heard of Def Leppard? Go take a look at the highest selling artists of all time. Go look at any lsit that has the most popular heavy metal bands of all time. To even entertain that idea is truly mind-boggling.

Metallica arent just the most popular heavy metal band, they're one of the worlds most popular and well known bands period.

I've never gotten why people say Possessed did it first. Death (and Mantas) started their discography with material more indicative of the genre as we know it but continued to create music that was more recognizably death metal.
They both released demos in '83 that were of the style we now recognize as death metal. I think Death fleshed it out more clearly though. But saying it was Possessed isn't unreasonable.

That's not right amongst anyone . Do you think the average person walking down the street today has heard of Def Leppard? Go take a look at the highest selling artists of all time. Go look at any lsit that has the most popular heavy metal bands of all time. To even entertain that idea is truly mind-boggling.
I agree, but Def Leppard are oft regarded as more palatable, and among the generation that grew up with them? Definitely very known. Also, they have sold over 100 million records, which isn't exactly small. You're probably right that Metallica is more known overall though.

What's up? I figured that I'd drop in and drop some truth, even though I might regret recovering my account later.

Screenshot_20170920-151844.jpg Screenshot_20170920-151816.jpg

These are the things that I actually said, which interestingly enough don't seem to match up with what is being claimed in this topic and are also not really controversial at all.

Also, in regards to my BFF TB's claims about me hating Motörhead and that I think that Judas Priest is the main band that influenced thrash, I actually said that both bands, and others, were all very influential on thrash and that Motörhead was far from being its only inspiration.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
pDb38_s-200x150.gif

Oh, and about Def Leppard, they clearly are around as popular as Metallica and released one album that got more radio airplay and sold more copies than any Metallica album. I also told TB that while they're similar in popularity, I don't view Def Leppard as a metal band even though they've released metal music during their career.

Anyway, that was exciting. I'll see you guys in a year or so.

Oh so now youre claiming you said they were just similar in popularity? You did not say and ARGUE with me for a full day that they are MORE WELL KNOWN AND POPULAR? To a point where i kept laughing at you and bringing it up for weeks? Please dont lie.

Also i never claimed you said Priest was the main band that influenced thrash, although you clearly implied that numerous times. And i also never said Motorhead was the only band that inspired the subgenre. not once did i say that. So yeah.

Those were two arguments that you got annihilated in. Just face the facts for once

What's up? I figured that I'd drop in and drop some truth, even though I might regret recovering my account later.

View attachment 11728 View attachment 11729

These are the things that I actually said, which interestingly enough don't seem to match up with what is being claimed in this topic and are also not really controversial at all.

Also, in regards to my BFF TB's claims about me hating Motörhead and that I think that Judas Priest is the main band that influenced thrash, I actually said that both bands, and others, were all very influential on thrash and that Motörhead was far from being its only inspiration.
Well, this is unexpected. I still maintain that Death invented death metal. When I say that, I'm not claiming they did so in a vacuum or were the sole influence, I'm just saying they're the ones who actually created the sound we know as death metal, just like Black Sabbath invented metal. I never claimed Motörhead were the exclusive inspiration for thrash either. I felt they fathered it, but not that there weren't other contributing bands.