Controversial opinions on metal

Yeah the EP doesn't really have any weak points while Walls of Jericho has a couple, but they're pretty much equals when you factor in the different formats.

While I'd say that I like any track on their EP better than "Gorgar" and "Reptile" (which are my least favourite tracks on "Walls of Jericho"), the EP only contains one of my overall favourite Helloween-songs, namely "Victim of Fate", whereas "Walls of Jericho" contains three of them ("Ride the Sky", "Phantoms of Death" and "How Many Tears"). An EP with these four songs would get a 10/10-rating from me.

I don't listen to Bolt Thrower very often, but I don't think I will ever not like them. Even when I'm like, 90.

I’ll probably get lynched for this, but Bolt Thrower seem to be a bit overrated on this forum. They’re a consistently good band, which is rare in death metal but I rarely find them to be top tier outside Realm of Chaos. Even then, I wouldn’t have that in my top 20 for death metal.

FaFtS is better than anything Bolt Thrower has ever done, but ok.
How? It's by no means clear that Bolt Thrower is somehow worse as they actually have a discography with more significant releases while Sacramentum only has Far Away From the Sun to their name as a "classic" release.

How? It's by no means clear that Bolt Thrower is somehow worse as they actually have a discography with more significant releases while Sacramentum only has Far Away From the Sun to their name as a "classic" release.

He never said that. He said that FaFtS is better than anything Bolt Thrower released. He never mentioned anything about which band is better on the whole.

I'd also add Finis Malorum to Sacramentum's "classic" releases. Sure it's only an EP, but it's really fucking good. Some people also like their later releases. I'm not much of a fan as I don't think the super aggressive sound really suits them and they're both much more standard than what they were doing previously.

Aria of Vernal Tombs comes really close. Reeeeallly close.

Never really got the Obsequiae hype! Listened a few times and just don't really hear anything special.

I'm still waiting for the official in-crowd test from BurgerBoy. Should be fun!

Last edited: