Controversial opinions on metal

@WAIF: How can you love Hammerheart so much and not love Zeppelin? 'Kashmir' was basically the template for that album.

And how can you not mention Bonham, one of the greatest rock drummers ever, and Plant, one of the most charismatic frontmen ever. Even John Paul Jones is seriously underrated.

Oceanborn by Nightwish was one of my first metal records. Definitely very good stuff if you can stomach Tarja's singing. I'm just not very fond of the overly processed synths that appear in a few songs. Wishmaster was really poppish and formulaic in comparison, but still decent in places.

I've honestly never really understood the backlash against Dimmu Borgir.(no, please don't use the watering-down of black metal as an argument,I've heard it all before. Borriiing.)
They've always been competent musicians. I guess the crowd that this band appeals to dictates the approach taken by a lot of metalheads.
So I've been rocking to PEM as of late. This is just good, if overly polished extreme symphonic metal, quite reminiscent of Necromantia, with a pinch of Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale and later era Emperor.(just not as mechanical as the latter). The excessive blasting sections are pretty bland and Shagrath's processed vocals are damn bad but quite a few songs are good(the first four, Perfection or Vanity and the Twisted Sister cover. Symposium is nice as well.)

I think the first 3 of Dimmu Borgir's releases are decent enough, especially For All Tid. From what I've heard of the newer albums they've become really quite shit.

You can reasonably call Led Zeppelin a lot of things, but 'hacks' is not one of them. Especially when you're talking about rock music.

I think the first 3 of Dimmu Borgir's releases are decent enough, especially For All Tid. From what I've heard of the newer albums they've become really quite shit.

They're uninteresting, boring, bland, and awful, especially the most recent. It sounds like a monotonous ringing of distorted guitars and the symphonics lack creativity.

I'm a fan of their older stuff, but there are far better symphonic black metal acts (Limbonic Art, Bishop of Hexen, Tvangeste, to name a few).

soad s/t is fun as hell tbh, the rest is pretty bad though

as for dimmu, some of us just don't like safe predictable music. ;)
I like a few songs off of Toxicity(Forests, Psycho Groupie Cocaine Crazy? or whatever it's called) the rest of their stuff is meh.

As far as Dimmu i'd say Zeph and myself are one of the few people on here that genuinely enjoy Dimmu. I'll listen to their whole discography at any given time except for For All Tid which is terrible.

*in before some fucktard states that For All Tid is Dimmu's best album*

You can reasonably call Led Zeppelin a lot of things, but 'hacks' is not one of them. Especially when you're talking about rock music.
Agreed. Calling them hacks is ridiculous but lately i have been slipping away from Zep and listening to Pink Floyd. I used to love Zep but Floyd's music is so much more rewarding.

Stop saying "admit" as if this band were a guilty pleasure. All their albums are worth my ears, save for the last one. People need to cast down the attitude that they have to start disliking a band in order to fit in with the "cool" crowd.

As far as Dimmu i'd say Zeph and myself are one of the few people on here that genuinely enjoy Dimmu. I'll listen to their whole discography at any given time except for For All Tid which is terrible.

For All Tid is their only album I don't have, and I enjoy listening to all other Dimmu albums as well. Don't see any problem with their sound. Puritanical, Spiritual Black Dimensions and Death Cult Armaggedon are my favourites. BTW their DVD has pretty good material (Invaluable Darkness)

I find it interesting that people take more pleasure in asserting their dislike of certain bands, when in fact there becomes less music out there to give them pleasure, than confessing that they like a band.

Stop saying "admit" as if this band were a guilty pleasure. All their albums are worth my ears, save for the last one. People need to cast down the attitude that they have to start disliking a band in order to fit in with the "cool" crowd.

I say admit not as a defensive or precautionary measure, but as to say that despite the general disdain for the band, I do enjoy them. Whether or not I'm in a 'cool' crowd is no matter. I say admit because so few people will admit it, as I'm sure there are numerous people who actually enjoy Dimmu though they say otherwise.

On that note, Cradle of Filth's Principles of Evil, Cruelty and the Beast, and Dusk and Her Embrace are albums I enjoy as well.

^ That's odd, I've always enjoyed Dimmu Borgir, but never got into Cradle of Filth.

Their vocals just ruin it for me. I wouldn't say they suck, though, it's just a matter of taste imo.

I rather enjoy his vocals. Especially in Principles and Cruelty. I think they add to the atmosphere of the albums. Those shrieks are a little hard to enjoy I'll admit though.

Beneath The Massacre sucks, probably not controversial being they're a crappy deathcore/metalcore band signed to a crappy label like Prosthetic Records which is for scenesters.

The only thing great about Death Cult Armageddon was Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, which was an epic song. I really didn't enjoy In Sorte Diaboli at all.