Controversial opinions on metal

It helps that the last track is a re-recording of Gradually Melted and rapes. The lyrics are just about as macabre as "brutal death" gets too, genuinely unnerving in a sense most bands can't touch. I love the hallucinogen influence on some of their lyrics...the lyrics to "Three Minute Crawlspace" are among my favorites ever:

Just a matter of time
Before the air runs out
You're doomed
Try to fight, it's what I like

Trapped inside
A dead nightmare
Buried deep
Suffocation
Frantically, scratching for light
The oxygen is getting thin

The air is getting, getting thin
Three minute crawlspace
The air is getting, getting thin
Three minute crawlspace

I admit not knowing anything about "old ST", but I did just see them firsthand, and "current ST" is a laughably bad, Muir has been watching too many hiphop music videos or something or he was always like this.
They may be legendary for their old punk work, but I can't stand 99% of punk either so...

They're just Suicidal. They have never entirely fit into any classification. They are more like a one man Chollo gang from Venice Beach who skate and play music with influences from punk and metal. Their first album is pretty punk, but probably not like everyone else's punk. Their second brings in a lot of thrash, but is still unique.

I can understand people not liking SOAD on this forum, but to call them a bad band is pretty laughable to me, and disappointing coming from v5's mouth.

I don't really understand what you mean. I find them to be deplorably fucking bad in almost all aspects.

Stop listening to the two sample Devourment songs again and again tbh. I can see it in your sig you weirdo.

I might have to almost agree, and I believe it's because even though they too are ridiculous, RATM at least has some kind of serious vibe and isn't full of the typical punk rock or rap attitude that most of that stuff is, which I just can't stand at all.

Suicidal Tendencies is fucking incredibly awesome. Pure win. Period. And where did you pull that rap rock thing out? ST have rapping like in 2-3 songs, the other stuff is pure hardcore and crossover thrash, plus the funky stuff. Put those together, and you've got an awesome mix of metal/punk madness. I really dig their overall vibe, with their crazy lyrics and attitude. I wonder is Muir really kinda fucked up, all of the songs are about insanity and "cyco" shit etc. Anyways, awesome stuff, and if you can't get it you fail at life.

RATM are quite good. I think what distinguishes them is that they're actually good players and actually bother to play well. Also, instead of being formulaic they created the formula. And they simple wrote a shitload of really catchy riffs and choruses and good songs and shit.

I don't really understand what you mean. I find them to be deplorably fucking bad in almost all aspects.

I find System of a Down unique and talented. They have always pretty much done their own thing, and have come out with some great albums, not the least of which is Toxicity. You may not like the weird vocal style, but to me it is one of the things that make them unique. They remind me of Oingo Boingo to a degree. Not that they are similar, but they were similarly innovative (though Oingo Boingo probably to a larger degree). They are musical and heavy and diverse and not trend followers that I can hear, except that they became popular.

So how much material do you base your evaluation on?

Everything I've heard, which my friend plays a lot in the car. I find the SUPREMELY fucking annoying and grating, they have pretty much nothing interesting at all in their music, I hate Serj and Daron's vocals, both of them should just shut the fuck up ALL THE TIME. I think Daron is actually an OK guitarist and has done some cool things in some songs, but it does not excuse how terrible they sound to me. Also their whole anti-American stupid rhetoric crap is just tiresome, esp. because it is America that gave them the chance to be popular. I know this is separated from the music but it irks the shit out of me.

Also their whole anti-American stupid rhetoric crap is just tiresome, esp. because it is America that gave them the chance to be popular. I know this is separated from the music but it irks the shit out of me.

I thought their lyrics were primarily anti-American bullshit, frustration with the way the country is run etc. Not anti-America Hubster style.

Also their whole anti-American stupid rhetoric crap is just tiresome, esp. because it is America that gave them the chance to be popular. I know this is separated from the music but it irks the shit out of me.

I'm a bit surprised you said this, but it bothers me sometimes too. Eddie Vedder bugs the shit out of me because he always complains about how shitty the country is and yet he's making millions of dollars. If he feels sorry for the people in poverty, tell him to give away some of his fucking money.