Controversial opinions on metal

So anyone who made any money being an entertainer is by default not allowed to voice their frustrations about their country?

Everything I've heard, which my friend plays a lot in the car. I find the SUPREMELY fucking annoying and grating, they have pretty much nothing interesting at all in their music, I hate Serj and Daron's vocals, both of them should just shut the fuck up ALL THE TIME.

exactly. the vocals are like nails on a chalkboard. the music is obnoxious... one of the most overrated popular rock bands out there.

here's something controversial:

Kreator and Destruction are miles ahead of anything Sodom have done.

Here's a more controversial (yet still completely true) opinion: an album with the best songs of Kreator's and Sodom's entire discographies combined still falls short of Eternal Devastation. And Cracked Brain.

So anyone who made any money being an entertainer is by default not allowed to voice their frustrations about their country?

This is not what I said. What pisses me off is that they have the means to do something about the problems in their country, and many of them choose to do nothing. If they're so upset, then maybe they should use the millions of dollars they make and actually make a fucking difference.

This is not what I said. What pisses me off is that they have the means to do something about the problems in their country, and many of them choose to do nothing. If they're so upset, then maybe they should use the millions of dollars they make and actually make a fucking difference.

Actually, most celebrities support numerous causes and charities, donating large sums of money at a time. I just googled Eddie Vedder and found that he does the same.

Actually, most celebrities support numerous causes and charities, donating large sums of money at a time. I just googled Eddie Vedder and found that he does the same.

I was unaware of Vedder's charity work (although I'm still unsure about the whole "most" part).

This forces me to reevaluate my argument; and I admit that I have a bias against Vedder. I saw him live one time and he was impaling plastic faces of certain national figures on microphone stands and having conversations with them. One such face was Bill Gates, and that pissed me off. Gates contributes large amounts of money to charities, and I guess at that time I just thought "well, if Vedder's so pissed off, maybe he should do something too." Now I've learned that he does. I'm still not sure why he hates Bill Gates though.

I suppose another problem I have is with musicians who exploit their position. They're given a pulpit, and they use it to preach. When I buy tickets to a concert, I don't want to hear a musician's political views, whether they agree with me or not. I want to hear music. They can donate money and support all the charities/organizations that they wish; but I wish they would leave their political ideals backstage when playing a show.

The problem with political music is it is extremely polarizing. The odds that you will like music that preaches a different political/social message than you believe in is low.

On the flip side, if you agree it can make it much more enjoyable. One reason I really get into Lamb of God among other lyrically outspoken bands is the "preachy" lyrical content.

The lyrics from "In Your Words" (Wrath) for example are on point imo.

Einherjar I also have a negative reaction to mainstream musicians preaching their political views. Rationally I can't really be opposed to it if they do indeed use their position to assist causes they believe in. However it irks me when people criticize mainstream culture while being within mainstream culture and benefiting from it. It strikes me as disingenuous and it seems that they are selling rebellion rather than legitimately expressing it.

Einherjar I also have a negative reaction to mainstream musicians preaching their political views. Rationally I can't really be opposed to it if they do indeed use their position to assist causes they believe in. However it irks me when people criticize mainstream culture while being within mainstream culture and benefiting from it. It strikes me as disingenuous and it seems that they are selling rebellion rather than legitimately expressing it.

Listen to Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Muzak

I was unaware of Vedder's charity work (although I'm still unsure about the whole "most" part).

This forces me to reevaluate my argument; and I admit that I have a bias against Vedder. I saw him live one time and he was impaling plastic faces of certain national figures on microphone stands and having conversations with them. One such face was Bill Gates, and that pissed me off. Gates contributes large amounts of money to charities, and I guess at that time I just thought "well, if Vedder's so pissed off, maybe he should do something too." Now I've learned that he does. I'm still not sure why he hates Bill Gates though.

I'd be interested in hearing his reasons for hating Bill Gates too. The guy has donated BILLIONS of dollars, not just a few hundred thousand.