Controversial opinions on metal

After that discussion on Metallica v. Slayer, although I would go with Metallica any day of the week, I would like to give this controversial opinion:

The Black Album kinda sucked...

Since a lot of metalheads are very ga-ga over the guy for some reason, I need to do my part in pissing them off:

Chris Cornell...............easily one of the most irritating singers of ALL TIME. ALL. TIME. When he gets into that higher area..that 'auuUGHHH!' sound...ugh. I DON'T MIIIIND STEALING BREEEAD. I'M GOING HUNGRAYYY, AYYYYY. Please just kill me now so I will never need to endure that sound again. I'm not someone who freaks out because some singer doesn't sound how I expect or I want them to sound different and I can't listen to the album because of it, or whatever. But I think he is just terrible sounding. The only other singers I can think of right now that I just flat out can't really stand are the guy from Andromeda and Matt-uh Bar-uh-low-uh. Man, but it's late and I'm tired and I need to diss nasty on Chris Cornell. Cool if you dig him. I would rather get pissed on by an elephant. Mostly because I have the option of choosing that it be on my back - I never see or do anything with my back anyway, and it gets the brunt of the shower water, who cares if it gets urinated on a few times, honestly.

And you know what else? Metal is sort-of-almost dead because metalheads killed it. We're supposedly all rebellious and counter-culture or whatever idiom but I'm always seeing the McDonalds effect.......basis of that being, it's proven that you can now put the same meal in two bags - a McDonalds bag and a plain paper bag, give it to a child, and the child will swear the McDonalds bagged meal tastes better. Basically, hype = brainwashing, and it runs sooo rampant. Like, really, I'm intelligent enough to realize it honestly is not just the MUSIC of say, Metallica or whatever other band, that inspires enormous conversation - it's the LEGEND. And if a band doesn't have a LEGEND to some extent, they're not interesting to talk about and people aren't forthright to say they dig the band. Then you have the other side of the coin, which is the glut of people who like unknown stuff merely to be obnoxious about it and counter the first side. So you've got a bunch of gimmicky schlock which is popular and then a bunch of unknown schlock which has it's status as a gimmick, and there's hundreds of great metal bands in the middle who are just good musicians who write good songs with realized visions. Grave Digger is not popular because Grave Digger is not pretentious in this way. But when did they first reach a height of popularity? When the 'Middle Ages Trilogy' was put together. Hey, now we can put a brand name and a label on this, this is history metal, I love this band now. No you don't, because you don't love 'Heart of Darkness'. Leave the hall. You know what else? Metalheads don't want originality. Stop saying you want to hear something original. First of all, the whining about such a thing is borderline menstrual, second, you're full of it because everyone knows you just want a band to sound like a combination of bands you already like. Whenever a band comes out that sounds unique, people's brains get twisted into knots because CDDB can't properly identify the genre in their burning software, or you can't tell your friend 'this is a great band that sounds like X band' and we just can't have that. The original bands are unknown and remain unknown unless and until they get propelled on the hype of how original they are (ironic), and then turning derivative of other bands anyway shortly thereafter in order to secure the wider fan-base now exposed to their music, because IN ALL HONESTY, the masses really don't know anything and would never get the original brilliance. But now we're becoming the masses, congratulations on that. And we piss and moan about every little thing. Disliking bands by a band basis is no longer good enough, we have to bitch if it has clean vocals, we have to bitch if it has growling, we have to bitch if it has keys, we have to bitch if it isn't complex enough, we are COMPLETELY UNABLE to take a song and sound for WHAT IT IS and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about WHAT WE THINK and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about THAT SOUND AND SONG and just LISTEN to it.

You know what the best part of all this is? I don't care what anyone has to say about any of that at all. I'm right and you pretty much are gonna have to learn to live with it.

And also I have a huge bowl of lime sherbet and I'm going to shove it in my face WEARING NO CLOTHING. Yeah, I might get sticky, what are you going to do about it? Go cry about it.

tl;dr

SFV is one of Priest's best records

I don't see how.

The Hellion - ok
Electric Eye - cool
Riding on the Wind - meh
Bloodstone - meh
(Take These) Chains - meh x2
Pain and Pleasure - meh
Screaming for Vengeance - killer
You've Got Another Thing Comin' - good, but overplayed (not the band's fault)
Fever - meh
Devil's Child - meh

too much meh

I repent. I was wrong. After another refresher listen, it's a good album with a couple of meh songs (Chains, Pain and Pleasure). What was I thinking giving Riding on the Wind a meh?

I'm not sure how a "definitive" thrash band is defined, but Metallica is clearly the best thrash band. Those other cunts aren't even in the same league in terms of creativity, uniqueness, and general musical significance.

Metallica peaked higher than just about any other band in metal, but there are/were other thrash bands that experimented. Coroner's Punishment for Decadence is basically RIP v2, but otherwise they never re-wrote the same album, and on No More Color and Mental Vortex especially they show quite a bit of song-to-song variety.

Anacrusis needs mention too. While AJFA was more of a half-assed Puppets v2, Screams & Whispers was an uber-prog/thrash masterpiece. All four of their albums showed great variety, and they definitely had a sound of their own.

Metallica and Slayer are vastly overrated (I don't care what ppl say about the new album its hardly metal and more importantly sucks). Death's vocals are really annoying. GnR guitarists: Buckethead > Bumblefoot > Slash
Children Of Bodom's newer stuff is much worse. Cannibal Corpse sucks. Exodus is better than Slayer. Lamb of God actually has a lot of really good riffs. I like Nevermore's singer. Opeth is sometimes boring. I like Flo Mounier but Cryptopsy sucks. I actually like the singing of Disturbed even though they suck. Ron Jarzombek sometimes writes things that are just stupid. I can't think of anything else

And you know what else? Metal is sort-of-almost dead because metalheads killed it.

What does it mean for a genre to "die" exactly? I'm pretty sure there will continue to be good metal bands for many decades into the future, regardless of whether or not the mainstream recognises them.

Like, really, I'm intelligent enough to realize it honestly is not just the MUSIC of say, Metallica or whatever other band, that inspires enormous conversation - it's the LEGEND.

...Or maybe the fact that enough people have actually heard Metallica that it's possible for a conversation on them last for more than two posts? Hm, maybe that has something to do with it. :)

You know what else? Metalheads don't want originality. Stop saying you want to hear something original.

Wait, since when do metalheads want something original, and which ones are they? I thought most people on these boards were fairly clear about the fact that they don't give a shit how much a band sounds like 500+ other bands.

Disliking bands by a band basis is no longer good enough, we have to bitch if it has clean vocals, we have to bitch if it has growling, we have to bitch if it has keys, we have to bitch if it isn't complex enough, we are COMPLETELY UNABLE to take a song and sound for WHAT IT IS and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about WHAT WE THINK and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about THAT SOUND AND SONG and just LISTEN to it.

Interesting suggestion, but like most of the things in your post it's just a gigantic generalisation which might apply to most people but certainly not to all. You also have to take personal taste into account, and allow that people just aren't going to like certain styles of music even if they're open-minded about them.

And also I have a huge bowl of lime sherbet and I'm going to shove it in my face WEARING NO CLOTHING. Yeah, I might get sticky, what are you going to do about it? Go cry about it.

:cry:

I think people who can't recognise the gender of vocalists, whether they are doing harsh vocals or otherwise, are insufficiently heterosexual.

and thats a bad thing because? Metallica's "experimenting" lost them tons of fans, yet Kreator especially still has the respect and dignity that Metallica wish they still had.

Metallica's "experimenting" made them one of the most popular bands in the world... and hardly made them "lose" fans... their old stuff didnt disappear from the world when they changed, you know.

I seriously doubt they give a fuck about the "respect and dignity" Kreator has.

They have being trying to get more serious metal credibility again. They did a gig with Kind Diamond a while back and in UK Metal Hammer Lars name-dropped every classic metal band going, as opposed to avoiding branding his band metal, or any such faggotry.

No, that didn't really need to be said, but I did have a point about personal taste. And I made several other points which I think invalidated or put into question various other generalisations you made.