Controversial opinions on metal

my friend Rich likes Dragonforce. besides nu-metal (he's technically a gen-Xer) he is very reluctant to listen to anything heavier than Slayer, which kind of bugs me. he did tell me he liked Morbid Angel, though.

I didn't remember how lame Screaming For Vengeance was. There are some killer tunes, but also a lot of meh.

SFV is one of Priest's best records

no, that honour belongs to Sepultura.

FYP

DF vocals are pretty poor, but I still listen to 'Valley of the Damned' out of their albums. It's not because it was 'teh b4 they got popular arghuguguhg' although that is true. It just sounds like a real band making real metal and it has some really good songs on it. The whole band is not yet defined by a 'look how goofy/ironic and monotonous we can be!' gimmick.

VOTD is actually good

Sabbat(UK) are the gods of thrash for me. Even with only two releases (three if you count the one they disown), I just love Martin Walkyier's vocals and the tone of the guitars.

It just doesn't get much better then "Dreamweaver" TBH

EDIT: By the way is "Mourning has Broken" even worth a listen?

Sepultura is no where close to the definitive Thrash band. All of Cavaleras music is missing something, but I can't put my finger on what, like it's just uninspired. It seems the songs never get anywhere or something.

The Cavaleras left Sepultura to go make uninspired music elsewhere, but Sepulturas music didn't improve any.

I'm not sure how a "definitive" thrash band is defined, but Metallica is clearly the best thrash band. Those other cunts aren't even in the same league in terms of creativity, uniqueness, and general musical significance.

From what I've heard, Slayer, Kreator and Sepultura all seem to have rather narrow personal formulas that they stick to, and don't stray far from. Metallica, on the other hand, are extremely progressive, have a wide variety of moods from song to song, and have tons of classic and otherwise highly recognisable songs. If I'm overlooking some band/album which outdoes Metallica in this regard, please inform me because I'd sure like to hear it.

From what I've heard, Slayer, Kreator and Sepultura all seem to have rather narrow personal formulas that they stick to, and don't stray far from. Metallica, on the other hand, are extremely progressive, have a wide variety of moods from song to song, and have tons of classic and otherwise highly recognisable songs. If I'm overlooking some band/album which outdoes Metallica in this regard, please inform me because I'd sure like to hear it.

I can agree if I had to have only 4 Thrash albums from 1 band it would be KeA-AJFA. Tons of variety and great songs.

sticking with slayer, they were pushing far more boundaries in the '80s whilst metallica were still much more strongly rooted in rock conventions. they were also damned variable, if not from song to song (and considering the style this wouldn't be appropriate anyway) then at least album to album. show no mercy, hell awaits, reign in blood, south of heaven, seasons in the abyss, i mean come on they're all really different. as for musical significance, well 'tallica are huge and their presence is felt everywhere but slayer are sure as hell no slouches in that department.

A can deal with an itty bitty of grindcore not so much brutal dm.

The both seem to be mostly lyrically retarded.

Metallica were the best cuz each album got more melodic and progressive..They never made the same album twice...no other band Progressed like them...They all stayed fast.

Metallica and Death are 2 bands that just every release got better...Black album was a natural progression I believe and that's where it ended. Death never stopped being amazing.

Metalheads Like when bands stay the same style no matter how generic the shit is..People actually like Divine Intervention, Diabolus, Christ Illusion and God hates us all..It's sickening....Slayer ruled up untill Seasons...Then it went to shit....In no way do I enjoy Load, Reload or St. Anger but people act like slayers first 4 or 5 are better then Metallica's first 5.

Show No Mercy is def better then Kill Em All though

No other thrash band wrote songs as good as

Orion, The Call of Ktulu, For whom the bell tolls, Fight Fire, Battery, Master, Justice, One, To live is to Die, Fade to Black, Welcome Home, The Unforgiven, Dont Tread on Me, Disposable Heros

The closest thing would be Megadeth