Controversial opinions on metal

Somewhere in Time is full of shitty choruses. Don't single out Heaven Can Wait; the title track and The Loneliness... are just as awful.

Killers is the best, btw.

ScannersExplodingHead.gif
I see yours and i'll raise you one sir
Claponclapoff-1.gif

I honestly think Killers has way too much filler. I'll give it another listen, but I'm sure my opinion will stay the same. There are some good songs on the album though

I agree. Nomad is out of place.

The one thing you can' deny about Maiden is that they have solid openers for the most part

Nomad is a great song if for no other reason it is a total change of pace. Listening to it rolling around the Iraqi desert in the middle of the night with the moon overhead was awesome.

The one thing you can' deny about Maiden is that they have solid openers for the most part

Eh, the synth twins and the last two were pretty week in the opener department. They're usually much more consistent in the closer department.

Nomad is a great song if for no other reason it is a total change of pace. Listening to it rolling around the Iraqi desert in the middle of the night with the moon overhead was awesome.

Yeah, but the whole middle section is a ripoff, which automatically makes it lose points.

It would have been much better if it weren't so damn repetitive.

In fact, that whole album could have been one of their greatest ever if it weren't so damn repetitive. They fucking ruined it. :erk:

It doesn't bother me on that album. Just a couple of really horrible songs do. I don't think it cripples the album like it does 'Virtual XI'. :puke:

I would have probably chosen this:

if we're going to talk classic metal cheesy Eastern melody epic song things. :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think Killers has way too much filler. I'll give it another listen, but I'm sure my opinion will stay the same. There are some good songs on the album though

Well there's filler on every single Maiden album, but Killers is full of great songs - especially Wrathchild, Killers, and Purgatory. It's just full of catchy rockers in general.

The biggest problem with the album is that it sounds way overproduced.

It doesn't bother me on that album. Just a couple of really horrible songs do. I don't think it cripples the album like it does 'Virtual XI'. :puke:

Well it's still listenable of course, but when you put it alongside the masterful songwriting they were doing in the early days, it just sounds really half-assed in comparison.

Well there's filler on every single Maiden album

That's why Piece of Mind takes the top spot for me. The only fillers on the album are Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel. Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Die With Your Boots On, and The Trooper are all Maiden at their best.

That's why Piece of Mind takes the top spot for me. The only fillers on the album are Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel. Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Die With Your Boots On, and The Trooper are all Maiden at their best.

There are some good songs on it, but I don't find them as moving as the highlights of their other '80-'84 albums.

I think if Maiden hadn't strayed so far from their initial sound, there wouldn't be much argument that the s/t is the band at its best. The punkish aspects of it are just immaculately well done.