Controversial opinions on metal

Metallica were the best cuz each album got more melodic and progressive..They never made the same album twice...no other band Progressed like them...They all stayed fast.

Metallica and Death are 2 bands that just every release got better...Black album was a natural progression I believe and that's where it ended. Death never stopped being amazing.

Metalheads Like when bands stay the same style no matter how generic the shit is..People actually like Divine Intervention, Diabolus, Christ Illusion and God hates us all..It's sickening....Slayer ruled up untill Seasons...Then it went to shit....In no way do I enjoy Load, Reload or St. Anger but people act like slayers first 4 or 5 are better then Metallica's first 5.

Show No Mercy is def better then Kill Em All though

No other thrash band wrote songs as good as

Orion, The Call of Ktulu, For whom the bell tolls, Fight Fire, Battery, Master, Justice, One, To live is to Die, Fade to Black, Welcome Home, The Unforgiven, Dont Tread on Me, Disposable Heros

The closest thing would be Megadeth

Good thing this is in the controversial opinions forum...

..., Kreator...seem to have rather narrow personal formulas that they stick to, and don't stray far from.

Can't speak for the others so much but being quite familiar with Kreator, you're fucking wrong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCc_V_uwvfs&feature=related[/ame]

So...um, yeah. Kreator's first 4 all involve fairly straight up thrash metal, but there's a definite evolution from the raw and incredibly intense stuff on Pleasure to Kill to the more precise and even somewhat melodic style on Coma of Souls; then they went sorta crazy in the 90s, and then on Violent Revolution and Enemy of God they moved in a thrashy direction but incorporated a lot of Gothenburg-style melody; then Hordes of Chaos is a return to the feel of old school thrash but as you can see they still use lots of melody (although To The Afterborn is by far the most melodic song on the album). Now, they've never gone in the direction of Kreating endless thrash epics or stuffing as many riffs as possible down our throats or turning off the bass, but they did totally go hard rock on Endorama.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard, Slayer, Kreator and Sepultura all seem to have rather narrow personal formulas that they stick to, and don't stray far from.

and thats a bad thing because? Metallica's "experimenting" lost them tons of fans, yet Kreator especially still has the respect and dignity that Metallica wish they still had.

Metallica were the best cuz each album got more melodic and progressive..They never made the same album twice...no other band Progressed like them...They all stayed fast.

Metallica and Death are 2 bands that just every release got better...Black album was a sad way to end an awesome career I believe and that's where it ended. Death never stopped being amazing.

Metalheads Like when bands don't start sucking dick no matter how generic their shit gets..People actually like Divine Intervention, Diabolus, Christ Illusion and God hates us all..It's sickening....Slayer ruled up until Seasons, except for South of Heaven, what an overrated suckfest....In no way do I enjoy Load, Reload or St. Anger but people act like slayers first 4 or 5 are better then Metallica's first 5.

Show No Mercy is def better then Kill Em All though

No other thrash band wrote songs as good as

Orion, The Call of Ktulu, For whom the bell tolls, Fight Fire, Battery, Master, Justice, One, To live is to Die, Fade to Black, Welcome Home Sanitarium, Disposable Heroes

The closest thing would be Megadeth

Ftfy

DF vocals are pretty poor, but I still listen to 'Valley of the Damned' out of their albums. It's not because it was 'teh b4 they got popular arghuguguhg' although that is true. It just sounds like a real band making real metal and it has some really good songs on it. The whole band is not yet defined by a 'look how goofy/ironic and monotonous we can be!' gimmick.

VOTD is actually good

Sonic Firestorm is actually good too. It was after that record that all their songs began sounding the same.

I wanted to add that it's really actually kind of impressive how people still come to the Slayer/Metallica discussion with renewed vigor time after time even though there's literally nothing left to say. You're an inspiration to us all, to not become zombies.

Well, the subject contains very opinionated and hardcore views, much like socio-political topics in which each side fervently debates to no agreed end all the time so...yeah.

From what I've heard, Slayer, Kreator and Sepultura all seem to have rather narrow personal formulas that they stick to, and don't stray far from. Metallica, on the other hand, are extremely progressive, have a wide variety of moods from song to song, and have tons of classic and otherwise highly recognisable songs. If I'm overlooking some band/album which outdoes Metallica in this regard, please inform me because I'd sure like to hear it.

I don't share your opinion on Metallica being the greatest thrash band (because Voivod is), but I don't like most death and thrash metal for the lack of diversity in it, so I do see what you mean.

I like most of Sonic Firestorm, especially Soldiers of the Wasteland.

Yes. Great band, once upon a time... Soldiers of the Wasteland, Valley of the Damned, Disciples of Babylon... borders on brilliance.

Krallice's debut is fucking awesome. This could be controversial if metal enthusiasts are worried about hipsters assimilating black metal into the indie scene.

That Krallice album is definitely one of my favorites from last year and I could really care less if hipsters or whoever else enjoy it as much as I do.

I like most of Sonic Firestorm, especially Soldiers of the Wasteland.

That was my favorite song by them for a while, and when they played it live when I saw them (my first concert, too) it was one of the more happy moments in my life. Tbh that song is padding, though.
I think the whole album is pretty good; really happy, catchy, and fun.

No, there are many who are otherwise s0000per br000thul who find themselves attracted to the - ironically - junk power metal of DragonForce. Ironic because although they trash an entire genre of music for being crappy in different alleged ways, it is precisely the high crap factor that draws them in to where they now enjoy this one power metal band, when in reality, it's high quality in other bands being mistranslated by the untrained ear. Expect a follow up of 'it's a fun band and you shouldn't expect anything more.' as if that changes any of the above. :p

Since a lot of metalheads are very ga-ga over the guy for some reason, I need to do my part in pissing them off:

Chris Cornell...............easily one of the most irritating singers of ALL TIME. ALL. TIME. When he gets into that higher area..that 'auuUGHHH!' sound...ugh. I DON'T MIIIIND STEALING BREEEAD. I'M GOING HUNGRAYYY, AYYYYY. Please just kill me now so I will never need to endure that sound again. I'm not someone who freaks out because some singer doesn't sound how I expect or I want them to sound different and I can't listen to the album because of it, or whatever. But I think he is just terrible sounding. The only other singers I can think of right now that I just flat out can't really stand are the guy from Andromeda and Matt-uh Bar-uh-low-uh. Man, but it's late and I'm tired and I need to diss nasty on Chris Cornell. Cool if you dig him. I would rather get pissed on by an elephant. Mostly because I have the option of choosing that it be on my back - I never see or do anything with my back anyway, and it gets the brunt of the shower water, who cares if it gets urinated on a few times, honestly.

And you know what else? Metal is sort-of-almost dead because metalheads killed it. We're supposedly all rebellious and counter-culture or whatever idiom but I'm always seeing the McDonalds effect.......basis of that being, it's proven that you can now put the same meal in two bags - a McDonalds bag and a plain paper bag, give it to a child, and the child will swear the McDonalds bagged meal tastes better. Basically, hype = brainwashing, and it runs sooo rampant. Like, really, I'm intelligent enough to realize it honestly is not just the MUSIC of say, Metallica or whatever other band, that inspires enormous conversation - it's the LEGEND. And if a band doesn't have a LEGEND to some extent, they're not interesting to talk about and people aren't forthright to say they dig the band. Then you have the other side of the coin, which is the glut of people who like unknown stuff merely to be obnoxious about it and counter the first side. So you've got a bunch of gimmicky schlock which is popular and then a bunch of unknown schlock which has it's status as a gimmick, and there's hundreds of great metal bands in the middle who are just good musicians who write good songs with realized visions. Grave Digger is not popular because Grave Digger is not pretentious in this way. But when did they first reach a height of popularity? When the 'Middle Ages Trilogy' was put together. Hey, now we can put a brand name and a label on this, this is history metal, I love this band now. No you don't, because you don't love 'Heart of Darkness'. Leave the hall. You know what else? Metalheads don't want originality. Stop saying you want to hear something original. First of all, the whining about such a thing is borderline menstrual, second, you're full of it because everyone knows you just want a band to sound like a combination of bands you already like. Whenever a band comes out that sounds unique, people's brains get twisted into knots because CDDB can't properly identify the genre in their burning software, or you can't tell your friend 'this is a great band that sounds like X band' and we just can't have that. The original bands are unknown and remain unknown unless and until they get propelled on the hype of how original they are (ironic), and then turning derivative of other bands anyway shortly thereafter in order to secure the wider fan-base now exposed to their music, because IN ALL HONESTY, the masses really don't know anything and would never get the original brilliance. But now we're becoming the masses, congratulations on that. And we piss and moan about every little thing. Disliking bands by a band basis is no longer good enough, we have to bitch if it has clean vocals, we have to bitch if it has growling, we have to bitch if it has keys, we have to bitch if it isn't complex enough, we are COMPLETELY UNABLE to take a song and sound for WHAT IT IS and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about WHAT WE THINK and NOT CARE what OTHER PEOPLE think about THAT SOUND AND SONG and just LISTEN to it.

You know what the best part of all this is? I don't care what anyone has to say about any of that at all. I'm right and you pretty much are gonna have to learn to live with it.

And also I have a huge bowl of lime sherbet and I'm going to shove it in my face WEARING NO CLOTHING. Yeah, I might get sticky, what are you going to do about it? Go cry about it.