Controversial opinions on metal

Immortal have stated in an interview that they were inspired to wear makeup by KISS. I believe Quorthon has also said something to that effect.

Wasn't Quorthon covering KISS songs back in the '80s?

I imagine that a shitload of first-wave BM bands were KISS fans.

Does anyone else think that Manilla Road is greatly overrated?

Not sure who would be overrating them, but yeah, I'd agree that they're not particularly great. "Necropolis" is a fucking incredible song, and they've got some other gems, but they have a lot of garbage too.

I've heard quite a few people, especially on Metal Archives, basically laud them as the best metal band ever.

Manilla Road deserves EVERY bit of praise they get. Not a bad album to their name, and Crystal Logic might just be my favorite heavy metal album. I'm not sure if I prefer it to Mercyful Fates' Melissa though.

Probably the reason they get so much praise is because of how relatively unnoticed they are in the metal world. Sure, they're pretty unique, and they deserve a lot more success than they've had, but there are plenty of bands with better overall songwriting.

They also have the worst guitar tone ever recorded. I think it's actually a synthesizer. (Sacrilegio, of course)

Probably the reason they get so much praise is because of how relatively unnoticed they are in the metal world. Sure, they're pretty unique, and they deserve a lot more success than they've had, but there are plenty of bands with better overall songwriting.

As far as heavy metal goes, no. Maybe Mercyful Fate but aside from that, no.

So, Manilla Road are better songwriters than Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Bathory, etc. etc.

Sure.

Of course, this comes from the guy who thinks Van Halen and Motley Crue are terrible. :lol: