Controversial opinions on metal

I prefer death metal to black metal. I started liking a few black metal bands recently (Darkthrone, Bathory, Mayhem) but death metal is more my thing. I do not care too much about the newer black metal bands. When it comes to death metal I like a bunch from the old to the new bands.

I don't listen to much death or black metal, but I'd say I prefer most death metal to black metal.

But out of my favorite bands from both genres, I like them both the same.

Controversial, eh? I personally like Shadows Fall. Been listening to them ever since I was 9 years old. Their last two albums were shit, but their old material was very good in my opinion. (and by very good, I mean for metalcore's standards.) And Sonic Syndicate is quite possibly the worst band I have ever heard that is considered to be metal. If you have anything worse feel free to let me know.

I agree with this. Shadows Fall are pretty good. I actually like Fallout from the War more than the War Within. Threads of Life is pretty meh.
I saw Sonic Syndicate with Amon Amarth. They were so fucking bad. The entire crowd hated them. The moshpit actually sat down and gave them the finger.

that this sounds too much like suicide silence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like death and black metal equally but both for different reasons.

I enjoy black metal for the atmosphere it produces (drudkh) that you can just lay back and relax to the beautiful ambiance created by the repetitious riffs.

I enjoy death metal for the more technical side of metal and life. Usually I'll listen to such groups (ebony tears) when I'm jogging/working out or feel like getting pumped up and making a ruckus.

Deathcrush is lame and mediocre
I don't really get why people worship Burzum
Dragonforce chugs the cock
Amon Amarth is boring
Lamb of God is incredibly overrated

Deathcrush is lame and mediocre - It's alright.
I don't really get why people worship Burzum - Because Varg is win.
Dragonforce chugs the cock - Agreed.
Amon Amarth is boring - Some of it is.
Lamb of God is incredibly overrated - Agreed.

Deathcrush is a raw, disgusting, hateful, primitive earfuck. It's masochism in musical form. And it's awesome.

Amon Amarth are excellent.

Amon Amarth have their moments of epic... although their last album was a letdown after WOoOS.

Asator in particular has some of the coolest guitar work I've ever heard.