Controversial opinions on metal

comment I was trying to make controversial was the metalcore comment; because everybody seems to hate it. I thought it would be okay to have other opinions as long as one was controversial.

I defnitely hear ya. Dont get me wrong, I love any and every genre of metal, but i feel that most metal "elitists" wont even give deathcore/metalcore/brutalcore the chance because its just what the new generation wants and accepts. Like i said before, I like all metal, but sometimes i like to set the fingertapping and headbanging aside and listen to something slow and low.

Scar Symmetry is really overrated and borderline shitty. There is absolutely nothing special about them...just another overhyped "modern melo-death" band who appeals to "true" metalheads more because of the vocals and whatnot, which tend to be deeper. Unmoored's Indefinite Soul-Extension is a goddamn underrated modern classic that's like 50000 times better than any SS album, and also features Christian's godly vocals (and his cleans, which are even godlier, to a much greater extent).

There is no denying that Älvestam is a truly excellent vocalist. Scar Symmetry have some catchy as fuck songs, although they are by no means anything new or ground-breaking, i enjoy them. The guitarist Per is a fantastic soloist.

I think Pitch Black Progress is pretty damn solid; obviously not creative or anything, but there are a bunch of damn good songs on there.

This isn't so much an opinion than a controversial fact but whatever.

I seem to not have much trouble at all getting into black metal albums that everyone either deems unlistenable or in need of repeated listens in order to appreciate. There are a few acceptions to this but I had no issue with The Gospel of the Horned One, The Return of the Horned One, Darkthrone (even when I was first discovering black metal), everything Ildjarn did (for the most part), and most albums even seasoned black metal enthusiasts admit to having hard times with at first. Maybe I'm just growing a very tolerant ear for this sort of stuff but I never had any problems getting into raw black metal of any sort.

This might've made me sound a bit pretentious but I assure you that was not the intent. :p

I think the only black metal band that I had difficulty getting into was Emperor back when I was first getting into the genre. I've never had a problem with lower-end production and personally I've always thought that the genre's simplicity makes it easier for people to get into despite the usual raw production. But with Emperor, I was very intrigued by them and their style but their sound was far too cluttered for me and there didn't seem to be any space between instruments which made it a tough listen. However, I eventually clicked with Anthems.

To me In The Nightside Eclipse is the Nespithe of black metal, it just doesn't sound like anything else out there. I get what you mean that it's hard to get into, but for some reason both ITNE and Nespithe clicked with me the first times I heard them, maybe because both just sound completely natural.
The first time I heard ITNE I count as one of the best musical moments of my life, I was in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, lying in bed and looking through a window into the sky, and the music just fit perfectly. An example to symbolize just exactly what I like so much about the album (more people should do like this and not be so sweeping all the time); in Cosmic Keys To My Creations & Times, at 2:32, to me the music is "sighing". It's full of things like that that I can't really explain how I like them. It's the same with Nesphite, so incredibly otherworldly.

I remember I got into Darkthrone quite easily. One of the first black metal bands I listened to. I listened to Dimmu Borgir before, and liked Darkthrone better.

I actually really didn't like Dimmu Borgir at first, and I really didn't like them when they released the video for Progenies. I just thought it was so pretentious, and over-the-top like they were trying too hard or something. I was also fan of Cradle of Filth at the time and back then there was always this rivalry between fans, and a lot of magazines and sites where constantly comparing the two bands. But I eventually got into Dimmu once I gave them a chance - mainly through PEM and EDT material.

I'm mainly posting to get a more interesting conversation going. More then likely this isn't going to be controversial but Immolation is one of the best death metal bands arounds.

I never liked Dimmu Borgir.

Actually, come to think of it, In the Nightside Eclipse didn't really click with me on the first listen. Then again it was my first black metal album but I remember feeling really weird listening to it. Then I listened to it a second time and 'Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times' really hit me, among others.

I wouldn't say albums usually click with me immediately but I can generally tell if it's likely to click with me. Whereas if I hate it on first listen I'll probably always hate it. I can't think of too many I've significantly changed my views on, although I do remember Far Away from the Sun didn't impress me much at first and now it's one of my all time favourites.