Controversial opinions on metal

I wouldn't say albums usually click with me immediately but I can generally tell if it's likely to click with me. Whereas if I hate it on first listen I'll probably always hate it. I can't think of too many I've significantly changed my views on, although I do remember Far Away from the Sun didn't impress me much at first and now it's one of my all time favourites.

Yes, it is exactly like this for me, but sometimes I just don't see what there is that could click with me. TRITSIO, for an example, only seemed like a generic melodeath album to me at first...

I wouldn't say albums usually click with me immediately but I can generally tell if it's likely to click with me. Whereas if I hate it on first listen I'll probably always hate it. I can't think of too many I've significantly changed my views on, although I do remember Far Away from the Sun didn't impress me much at first and now it's one of my all time favourites.

I have still to get into that album, I don't know what it is but it doesn't click with me at all. I really don't like songs like Blood Shall Be Spilled, stuff like that gives me nothing. The only songs I really like are Fog's Kiss and Cries From A Restless Soul, where the music isn't too obvious.

50% of my opinion on a band is pre-listening. Band name, cover art, logo, album title. Rarely do I find a band that turns me off with all of that but comes through musically.

50% of my opinion on a band is pre-listening. Band name, cover art, logo, album title. Rarely do I find a band that turns me off with all of that but comes through musically.

Chinchilla did that for me on Madness. I was sure it'd be stupid but then it was really fun. Skrew - Angel Seed XXIII also was solid despite appearing stupid. And Anacrusis - Screams And Whispers was unpromising yet brilliant. Same for Accidental Suicide - Deceased - looked silly, actually pretty sweet. Gardenian - Soulburner. etc.

I'm mainly posting to get a more interesting conversation going. More then likely this isn't going to be controversial but Immolation is one of the best death metal bands arounds.

This is truth right here. However, they aren't a great band to watch at 1 in the morning at the very end of a two day metal fest.

I would fall asleep tbh. Something about those atonal riffs I could see easily knocking me out. I have to listen to them when I'm wide awake or doing something else. Good stuff, though.

Reading through the last page... I can also say I'm not a big fan of TRITSIO either.

I think my problem stems from not liking melodic death metal in general though... and the shrieked.. in pain.. death growl vocals.

No countries point was more along the lines of how could you think The Red In The Sky Is Ours was a generic album to begin with? Unless the only melodic/death metal you heard before AtG was Eucharist, I honestly can't see how you would view that particular album as "generic".

I don't listen to a lot of death and thrash metal, because I'm not a big fan of those genres. Most death and thrash metal unless of a greatly experimental variety sounds generic to me.