Controversial opinions on metal

I find Maiden to be catchy. They have some good riffs.

And I am prepared for an enormous amount of flaming for this:
Dance of Death is my favourite IM album.

I've always been pretty damn partial to Follow the Reaper tbh. Swampsong and Swamplord by Kalmah are cool though.

Yeah, the first three Bodom records are really excellent, but TBW is just so fucking amazing. I almost came the first time I heard the record.

It's better music for running too ;)

You've obviously never given IMAGES AND WORDS a chance.

and Train of Thought
and Systematic Chaos
and Falling Into Infinity
and Metropolis
and A Change of Seasons
etc

I find Maiden to be catchy. They have some good riffs.

And I am prepared for an enormous amount of flaming for this:
Dance of Death is my favourite IM album.

My favorites are the Di'Anno albums. I'm not going to flame you too hard for this but I do have to ask: Dance of Death? Why is this your favorite?

Dance of Death would be a fucking classic if not for the cover art. I like the newer albums more than some of the older albums like Killers (which I think is nothing but filler except for 4 songs)

Didn't you also say that Grace Under Pressure was the best Rush album? Rush wasn't meant to be a prog-lite keyboard rock band.

There's filler on the other Rush albums though. I can pick out all the albums I have and point to at least one song I find to be 'filler'.

Their good material outweighs the bad though obviously or I wouldn't own, like, 8 of their albums

Fair enough brah.

I fucking love a lot of the single songs on Swampsong...Cloned Insanity has one of the coolest keyboard sections later in the song after a cool breakdown, even has kind of a nice classic rock-y/psychedelic rock feel. Burbot's Revenge is catchy as hell too.

Swampsong is great. I prefer Swamplord, but the parts you mentioned are noteworthy. I love the opening guitar riff on "Alteration" from Swamplord; they just have so many awesome melodic moments, I love it.

Yeah, the first three Bodom records are really excellent, but TBW is just so fucking amazing. I almost came the first time I heard the record.

The first song I heard from The Black Waltz was "The Groan of Wind," and I was seriously freaking out for the whole thing. It's fucking awesome. That's still my favorite song on the record; melodic death metal just doesn't get more epic than that.