Controversial opinions on metal

The Black Waltz is better than anything Children of Bodom put out.

Really? Kalmah just has this lame vibe to them; a vibe that was already dated and torn apart by the most recent Children of Bodom records, yet they keep trying to scrape another piece of Alexi's song into theirs. I don't see what is musically foreward thinking about them, and if trait does not count against them in your head,than I don't see what they do is any better compared to Bodom's much more refinded and slightly interesting early albums. Could you explain a bit?

The Black Waltz is better than anything Children of Bodom put out.

Very true.

Is The Black Waltz better than Swamplord ?

I'd say so; but they're pretty close in quality.

Really? Kalmah just has this lame vibe to them; a vibe that was already dated and torn apart by the most recent Children of Bodom records, yet they keep trying to scrape another piece of Alexi's song into theirs. I don't see what is musically foreward thinking about them, and if trait does not count against them in your head,than I don't see what they do is any better compared to Bodom's much more refinded and slightly interesting early albums. Could you explain a bit?

I've always found Kalmah more interesting, and enjoyed them more. Where Children of Bodom strives and fails to be hardcore, Kalmah just plays what they write. They sound more genuine, to my ears.

Swamplord and The Black Waltz are both consistently solid and awesome melodic death records, and they both sound much more energetic than COB.

I admit that I actually heard Kalmah before COB, but after going back and listening to them they just sounded stale. Also, I love the dark mystical and tribal feel that Kalmah evoke.

Fair enough brah.

I fucking love a lot of the single songs on Swampsong...Cloned Insanity has one of the coolest keyboard sections later in the song after a cool breakdown, even has kind of a nice classic rock-y/psychedelic rock feel. Burbot's Revenge is catchy as hell too.