Controversial opinions on metal

Wow, OK, so my vocabulary apparently failed me there. I was under the assumption that "meat-head" was a general term for "stupid"; I had no idea all of you use it as a term for "jocks". Doom metal, is, IMO, "stupid", "low-brow", or even "burn-out" music.
Now I feel like the idiot.:erk:
Fair enough. Now, though, why do you think that doom metal is stupid, low-brow, burn-out music?

I have never heard doom metal described as stupid. Usually people think it's boring or perhaps cheesy, but never stupid. Stupid is an adjective usually reserved for bands with simplistic riffs and songwriting. Doom metal is often minimalistic but I don't think I've ever heard a good doom band (funeral or otherwise) that was simplistic.

You're going to tell me that there are ANY death metal influences outside of vocals in this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ZBGXwzonQ

Nevermind that it is basically heavy metal with harsh vocals.

Saint Vitus doesn't share the same aesthetic approach as Worship, Pentagram has nothing in common with Monolithe, etc. I think you're completely grasping for straws here because there is no way anyone in their sane mind could think Candlemass to be part of the same genre as Pantheist.

You'd do well to read over these:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7659/manifestobyvoid1ww9.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7654/manifestobyvoid2ed6.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9312/manifestobyvoid3so3.jpg

They're a pain to read, but I think you'll find that if you don't believe me you'll believe someone who is truly part of the doom scene itself.

Okay, I'm not reading those, sorry; that format's just a pain in the ass.

I maintain that I'm not grasping at straws though. There are certain aesthetic principles that abound in doom and, I think, penetrate every (or almost every) aspect of the genre, including a sludgingly executed approach to playing, slower tempos, and similar chord progressions.

I'm not sure how convincing my argument is, but I think it's enough to say that when I listen to funeral doom I associate it much more with doom in general than I do with death metal.

EDIT: if you'd like to highlight some of the points made in those writings you posted I'd be interested in hearing them.

Alright, there is a particular bit in it that I think sums up my feelings on the subject properly.

Thus, apart from the slowness, these bands did not seem to have anything in common with doom metal; doom has its defining traits buried deeper in the song structure, the overall atmosphere of the music, and in the entire doom culture surrounding the music. The style of compsoition is very traditional in doom metal, relying strongly on harmony, in many cases even the blues scale (not always, though), etc., whereas the new bands – e.g. Winter, Thergothon, Unholy, and early My Dying Bride – either were more experimental or just applied directly the disharmonic elements and structures of thrash and death metal. Furthermore, whereas the bleak atmosphere of doom metal had traditionally been strongly influenced by the hardships of the working class life, the new generation found their inspiration in high cultural philosophical investigation, and the angst of Romantic Genius.

One day I swear I'm going to print those out at work and then type them word for word to a text document so people can actually read it.

"...doom has its defining traits buried deeper in the song structure, the overall atmosphere of the music, and in the entire doom culture surrounding the music."

What's he saying here? It seems to me that he's specifying what I said earlier by referring to common aesthetic qualities. Bands like Thergothon employ some death metal techniques as an influence in the sound; but at heart they're still doom metal bands. It seems to me that you're trying to argue that they're something other than doom metal.

Because, imo, they are.

I think this is probably the most important line in the section I quoted.

Furthermore, whereas the bleak atmosphere of doom metal had traditionally been strongly influenced by the hardships of the working class life, the new generation found their inspiration in high cultural philosophical investigation, and the angst of Romantic Genius.

Fair enough. Now, though, why do you think that doom metal is stupid, low-brow, burn-out music?

Because the following statement can be twisted in a quasi-ironic fashion into a way of proving my point.

I have never heard doom metal described as stupid. Usually people think it's boring or perhaps cheesy, but never stupid. Stupid is an adjective usually reserved for bands with simplistic riffs and songwriting. Doom metal is often minimalistic but I don't think I've ever heard a good doom band (funeral or otherwise) that was simplistic.

Most traditional doom acts, and even some doom/death acts beat the shit out of a 3 chord riff for 15 - 20 minutes at a time. Yeah, I understand the tempo is extremely slow, but if you take the time to count it out, you realize that E minor, A, D# minor over and over again at 4/4 time for 32 measures is proto-stone age drudgery. So yes, doom metal is simplistic. I'm being overly specific when I say this, but Dave Chandler's guitar solos literally feel like he is scraping brain cells of my skull.
Now, I've heard good doom, but if you think about it, it can't really be classified as doom anymore, because the tempo breaks 85 bpm once in a while, and sometimes has the occasional double-kicked beat. There are tempo changes, variety in tonality, i.e. not "true" doom metal.
It is also possible that my blanket critique of the doom genre could be skewed by the shit quality of Southern Lord's roster. They need to focus of black metal and stop putting out 5th rate doom and drone nonsense.

That doesn't change the fact that he acknowledges that the atmosphere of the music is the same. Maybe he messed up in his argument, but it clearly seems to me that he's indicating that both traditional and more experimental doom bands share a similar atmosphere; it's just the source of their inspiration that differs.

forum.jpg

That doesn't change the fact that he acknowledges that the atmosphere of the music is the same. Maybe he messed up in his argument, but it clearly seems to me that he's indicating that both traditional and more experimental doom bands share a similar atmosphere; it's just the source of their inspiration that differs.

I really don't get how you're remotely getting this out of what I posted.

Thus, apart from the slowness, these bands did not seem to have anything in common with doom metal; doom has its defining traits buried deeper in the song structure, the overall atmosphere of the music, and in the entire doom culture surrounding the music. The style of compsoition is very traditional in doom metal, relying strongly on harmony, in many cases even the blues scale (not always, though), etc., whereas the new bands – e.g. Winter, Thergothon, Unholy, and early My Dying Bride – either were more experimental or just applied directly the disharmonic elements and structures of thrash and death metal.

He's saying the atmosphere of doom, the structure of doom, the culture of doom is DIFFERENT from these modern "doom" bands.

It's still much closer to the atmosphere of trad. doom than it is to death metal. The goal is still to convey some kind of sadness and despair, although in a somewhat darker form.

I'd say that atmospherically it is closer to a mixture of death and black metal elements than trad. doom.

Musically it just has nothing to do with doom though.

Not often but on occasion. Honestly though bands like Esoteric, My Dying Bride, Monolithe, Skepticism, etc. just are NOT doom.

Okay, seriously I don't think anyone here aside from Rumpole would even agree with me so lets just end this discussion as it is going no where fast.