Controversial opinions on metal

yeah no

as much as i love the album it isn't on the same level

frank-suffocation.jpg

One controversial, one not:

Mort is a gargantuan faggot... and... I dont like TRitSiO or any At the Gates at all.

I think Burzum sucks ass and don't find them remotely interesting. Obviously I'm missing something but it's a bit odd cause I really like many of the bands influenced by them (Drudkh for example)

A lot of Bathory kinda bores me though I LOVE several of their songs. (A Fine Day to Die and a few others) Dunno maybe the rest of their catalog will grow on me.

IX Equilibrium is Emperor's best album, followed by ATTWAD and finally by ITNSE. Prometheus is boring as shite. (though I don't think that's controversial)

I am extremely bored by the vast majority of most "classic" death metal albums. Stuff like Obscura does it more for me. I like Cryptopsy a lot too.

I remember a lot of people here glorifying At the Gates' first album (or maybe second?). I tried listening to it multiple times but just didn't think it was anything special at all.

1. Burzum is fantastic (well the first four albums anyway). I wasn't too impressed on my first listen myself but when I heard HLTO my jaw dropped. Since then Burzum has become one of my favs.
2. Bathory has several excellent albums... not just songs. Try Hammerheart if you haven't heard it yet.
3. IX Equilibrium is an excellent an highly underrated album but simply does not touch the awesomeness of Nightside.
4. Classic Old School Death Metal is frankly far and away the best death metal ever. Nothing touches those old classics by Death, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, et al.
5. The first ATG album is highly overrated (at least by certain persons on this forum) but it is still an enjoyable listen.

TRitSiO is really not that great. It's good, but there's nothing really remarkable about it.
Also, Hammerheart is not a great album to recommend, since the middle is pretty weak. Nordland I is much stronger.

Nespithe is unique itself but. Since I'm a big fan of Asphyx... "Last One On Earth" would be my pick out of many (Yes I'm sure theres better). Theres plenty of albums out there. But I wouldn't say its better. Just up there anyway.

It is basically impossible to have a top album of any genre. Some of my favs...

Brutality - Screams of Anguish
Vital Remains - Let Us Pray
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Terrorizer - World Downfall
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity

I still haven't listened to a lot of classic death.