Controversial opinions on metal

TRitSiO is really not that great. It's good, but there's nothing really remarkable about it.
Also, Hammerheart is not a great album to recommend, since the middle is pretty weak. Nordland I is much stronger.
What the hell, the middle is not weak? Which songs are you talking about?

And TRitSiO is one of the best death metal albums ever for sure, maybe not the top #1 but up there atleast. Nespithe isn't even the best finnish dm-album. :p It is good though.

I'd say Cadaver's In Pains if we're talking underground classics. One of the most masterfully understated, fluid and rhythmically arresting tech death albums I've ever heard. The production is totally unique. Bassy but easy on the ears.It's probably not really riff-oriented or far too simplistic for many people to enjoy, but whatever. I rated it a 4.00 but I'm think I'm underrating it.
It's strangely danceable even and grrovy as fuck.

What the hell, the middle is not weak? Which songs are you talking about?

And TRitSiO is one of the best death metal albums ever for sure, maybe not the top #1 but up there atleast. Nespithe isn't even the best finnish dm-album. :p It is good though.

Agreed, Slumber of Sullen Eyes and The Karelian Isthmus are both better.

The Red in the Sky is Ours is brilliant and incredibly unique, there's really nothing out there that sounds like it.

@Vilden: If you think Father To Son and Baptised In Fire And Ice are good songs you might want to think about raising your standards for what qualifies as a "good song." They're both uninteresting and unmemorable, and Baptised is somewhat jarring when heard next to the epic marching songs that make up the rest of the album. Hammerheart would be much stronger if it went Shores In Flames - Valhalla - Song To Hall Up High - Home Of Once Brave - One Rode To Asa Bay - Outro (not a Bathory album without the outro). And it would still be 40 minutes...

Ugh, I can never get into Cathedral, I don't get what people see in them.
Correction; I don't really know that many people who do like them to start with.

Cathedral are one of my favorite bands. Forest Of Equilibrium is classic and one of my favs. Soul Sacrifice,The Ethereal Mirror, Cosmic Requiem, and The Carnival Bizarre are also awesome.

Schwärzung;8843155 said:
Possibly controversial:

I'm glad that Lee Dorrian left Napalm Death.

Same here. Napalm Death have some alright albums and are just not even 2 percent as good still. Anyone who was in Napalm Death went on to do much better things and in Lee's case actually be backed by talented musicians who make good and interesting music.

Nespithe is unique itself but. Since I'm a big fan of Asphyx... "Last One On Earth" would be my pick out of many (Yes I'm sure theres better). Theres plenty of albums out there. But I wouldn't say its better. Just up there anyway.

I prefere Asphyx over any of their other albums musically and vocally(probably controversial). Ron Van Pol would make my top 5 DM vocalists. One of the sickest vocalists hands down.

I like SotS to some degree. Never could get over Tritsio's thin production.

I've heard the original sounds a lot better and am meaning to download the original. Remasteres tend to just sound horrible or cut the bass out of the mix. With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness sounds terrible to the point can't even listen to it. It's incredibly boring so it does not really matter anyways.

check out Gardens of Grief.

TRitSiO is really not that great. It's good, but there's nothing really remarkable about it.
Also, Hammerheart is not a great album to recommend, since the middle is pretty weak. Nordland I is much stronger.

Nordland I is a shitload of epic in a handbasket. Love that album; it's definitely a good one to recommend.

Hammerheart might not be the album to recommend to someone if you want to get him into Bathory; but it's definitely necessary.

Nordland I is extremely fucking good, had it been released in 1990 everyone would talk about it all the time. The ONLY filler on there is Broken Sword imo.

Yeah, Broken Sword is a bit meh and out of place. Hammerheart is definitely worth a listen, even with the meh songs. The one thing I don't get is Twilight Of The Gods; a lot of people say it's >= Hammerheart, but to me it's not even listenable as an album. Just absurdly tedious.