Controversial opinions on metal

Not often but on occasion. Honestly though bands like Esoteric, My Dying Bride, Monolithe, Skepticism, etc. just are NOT doom.

Reiterated by my statement made earlier:

Now, I've heard good doom, but if you think about it, it can't really be classified as doom anymore, because the tempo breaks 85 bpm once in a while, and sometimes has the occasional double-kicked beat. There are tempo changes, variety in tonality, i.e. not "true" doom metal.

The doom scene guy of course spun his argument to make it sound as if traditional doom metal is superior, however, I personally feel it is not. I don't think basing an entire genre of music on Black Sabbath's self-titled album and some 7" singles recorded by Pentagram in the 1970's exactly constitutes a rich, diverse, and quality producing scene.
The doom death bands which we saw hitting the scene in the (very) late 1980's and early 1990's really had so little in common with doom metal that they evolved into a new "species", if you will. It would be no different to lump death metal and black metal together because of the common influence of a band like Venom, for example.

I think of doom metal as any slower, foreboding metal, basically. "Traditional doom metal" can be a style of doom metal, therefore. And so can death/doom. Why is this so hard?

The statement that something isn't doom any more because it occasionally exceeds 85 bpm or something is just confusing...doesn't whoever said that realize that trad doom is *faster* than funeral doom?

Also I would agree with Einherjar that funeral doom is closer to doom than death/doom - funeral doom only has the goal of a sad or foreboding atmosphere (like doom) in mind, but some death/doom is really just taking the somewhat darker or slower death metal acts' ideas a bit further (Asphyx/Autopsy/Incantation/etc.).

I've tried listening to some funeral doom. So not my thing. I mean, most extreme metal is quite oppressive, but bands like Skepticism,for instance, take it too far. Just so stiflingly hopeless.

I think Burzum sucks ass and don't find them remotely interesting. Obviously I'm missing something but it's a bit odd cause I really like many of the bands influenced by them (Drudkh for example)

A lot of Bathory kinda bores me though I LOVE several of their songs. (A Fine Day to Die and a few others) Dunno maybe the rest of their catalog will grow on me.

IX Equilibrium is Emperor's best album, followed by ATTWAD and finally by ITNSE. Prometheus is boring as shite. (though I don't think that's controversial)

I am extremely bored by the vast majority of most "classic" death metal albums. Stuff like Obscura does it more for me. I like Cryptopsy a lot too.

I remember a lot of people here glorifying At the Gates' first album (or maybe second?). I tried listening to it multiple times but just didn't think it was anything special at all.

Obscura kinda annoys me these days, though I've overindulged in it far too much, so it makes sense. Clouded is a fucking incredible track,however. and really like Nostalgia as well. I enjoy the follow-up From Wisdom To Hate a lot more;it's better structured and not as long. I haven't listened to it in a while though.
I don't like Cryptopsy due to the vocalist's sounding like a clogged up toilet.

It's definitely not the kind of music you can just listen to anytime. It's a bit too exhausting for that I think.

It's infinitely replayable though IMO.

I think Burzum sucks ass and don't find them remotely interesting. Obviously I'm missing something but it's a bit odd cause I really like many of the bands influenced by them (Drudkh for example)

A lot of Bathory kinda bores me though I LOVE several of their songs. (A Fine Day to Die and a few others) Dunno maybe the rest of their catalog will grow on me.

IX Equilibrium is Emperor's best album, followed by ATTWAD and finally by ITNSE. Prometheus is boring as shite. (though I don't think that's controversial)

I am extremely bored by the vast majority of most "classic" death metal albums. Stuff like Obscura does it more for me. I like Cryptopsy a lot too.

I remember a lot of people here glorifying At the Gates' first album (or maybe second?). I tried listening to it multiple times but just didn't think it was anything special at all.

You could have simplified this post a lot and just said "I have really fucking shit taste."

Its called The Red in the Sky is Ours

Hey Andy, >_> I got a call from Walgreens saying a picture was ready to be picked up from some intersection I didn't know of and I'm guessing it was from yours.

When you're next at work check out the order from Robert Chubb (friends name I used instead of my own haha)