Controversial opinions on metal

nespithe is great and the karelian isthmus is good, but neither would feature on a top 10 DM list from me.

at the gates pre-TSD are my favourite band, or top 3 anyway. the most unsettled, vivid, personal/inward, poetic DM out there. ugh it's impossible to describe the power and beauty of it to people who don't understand.

it took me years to get into atheist, i'm very resistant to that kind of thing, but i love them now. both the first two. hopefully that'll happen with cadaver too eventually but i have my doubts...

i still think both AOM and BATS are overrated. god knows i've given both a billion listens, and they're still just good to me. i think BATS has the most problems structurally of the two but also has the most power when it's firing on all cylinders.

slumber of sullen eyes is outstanding. so is effigy of the forgotten. and the nocturnal silence, man, i listened to that for the first time in ages recently and fell in love with it all over again. sometimes the simplest pleasures are the greatest.

it took me years to get into atheist, i'm very resistant to that kind of thing, but i love them now.

If by "that kind of thing" you're talking about overt prog influence and an air of philosophical and/or spiritual stuffiness, then I am definitely with you on that one. It just comes across to me as being slightly cornball or tacky, which seems ridiculous when I can enjoy something as dumb as Misfits or ridiculously negative as Suffocation, but I never claimed that my taste makes any sense.

I'll try listening to it again one of these days and see if it clicks but for the time being, I don't really get the hype on that one.

i still think both AOM and BATS are overrated. god knows i've given both a billion listens, and they're still just good to me. i think BATS has the most problems structurally of the two but also has the most power when it's firing on all cylinders.

BATS isn't nearly as much talked about as AOM though. Countless people mention AOM as one of the pillars of metal, but I just don't see it. IMO BATS is more unorthodox and exiting to listen to in general, while AOM is a good album but too normal and thrashy to make it to the top.

I may have mentioned this before, and while it may seem completely out of character for me to embrace something so densely produced, but I can't help but be semi-fascinated with the overdone theatrics of Dimmu's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.
While many parts are suffocated by stupid overproduction and over-triggered drums, the best ones retain remarkable lucidity and catchiness.Oh, Dimmu, why so shamelessly mar the best thing you've ever released? Aesthetically reminiscent of Necromantia, dare I say, only more pussified and overpolished.
So while not daily listening fare, it's quite enjoyable when I'm in the mood to dabble in some "faggotry", as you youngsters like to call watered-down metal.

EDT after the first three songs is pretty boring, though. Something about the way it's produced just bothers me: the shrill guitar tone maybe, and the overly dense sound. I should give it some more listens.

Holy thread cleaning, batman!

Anyhow...the Stormblast remake is cool, but DCA is pretty bad, with the really obvious exception of that one good song, the name of which is escaping me.

Is it one of the Norwiegan language songs? Those are either "Vredesbyrd" or "Allehelgens Død I Helveds Rike", the latter of which I prefer. TBH, that song and "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" are the only 2 that I really like on DCA. Perhaps "Cataclysm Children" if the mood strikes me, but I digress...